PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Axle nut

isoder
03-14-2003, 10:44 AM
I need some help!!! I have a 99 400ex and I am trying to remove the axle nut, so I can change the axle bearings. I cannot get the nut off!!!. Is it a regular threaded nut or reverse threads? Can I heat it up or is there a better way to tackle this. ANy help would be appreciated.

RIDE RED!

MOUSE
03-14-2003, 05:15 PM
its reverse threaded, and you need to make sure the threads are completley clean before you start to back off the nut to get to the ring. spray some type of lubricant on the threads and nut and you can add to it by heating up the nut only. im sure you know but just as a reminder the stock nut is a 2 peice deal, back up the thin nut then the rest of it.

MOUSE
03-14-2003, 05:22 PM
oh yeah you might want to invest in an aftermarket axle nut such as a mezaros or some other i got a mez. and now use the stock one as a paper weight :blah

flaneledholes
03-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by MOUSE
oh yeah you might want to invest in an aftermarket axle nut such as a mezaros or some other i got a mez. and now use the stock one as a paper weight :blah

Cant agree with you more on the Meszmoto...

crookedeyemoto-x
03-17-2003, 05:03 AM
I would also opt to go with the heating source, especially if there is loc-tite in there.

isoder
03-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks alot.....I got the axle nut off. Now I have to try and remove the pivot bolt to get the swingarm off. That thing is stuck like glue. Any suggestions.

muff
03-17-2003, 10:47 AM
thats great that you got the nut off, if i were you i'd pick up one of those mezaros nuts, they're like $45ish

for the swingarm bolt theres a thread in the FAQ forum that should help you out,, do you have an impact wrench? if so get that on there and get the bolt spinning good which will loosen it up a lot or even back it out

isoder
03-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks a lot!! I will give it a try... Does anybody know off hand what size the spindle nut on the 400ex is. I know it is over 22mm