PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk clutch upgrade

Grande Huevos
01-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Whats the best route to go for a clutch upgrade? I read a little about running the cr 500 springs but couldnt find a ton of info on it. Do you only have to upgrade the springs on that setup or do you need to change plates and all? Ive seen alot of stuff on ebay that claim to be heavy duty such as ebc, barnett, ect.....but didnt know if any of those kits were actually an upgrade or not.

atvrider13
01-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Ive heard that cr500 springs are weaker than stock but are a lil longer

01-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Use all OEM Honda TRX250R fibers, steels, and springs with a quality billet basket. Adjust the cable properly and lube the cable. Change the oil regularly with a quality oil. Next topic.

Honda 250r 001
01-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by 8686
Use all OEM Honda TRX250R fibers, steels, and springs with a quality billet basket. Adjust the cable properly and lube the cable. Change the oil regularly with a quality oil. Next topic.

Don't forget, if you still have trouble with them slipping scratch the steels on a flat fairly smooth concrete floor!

hartwill
01-29-2013, 10:53 PM
I Had Neil Put His Upgrade In My 330 When He Built It And Have Been Very Happy With It. I Think It's Cr500 Springs One Extra 400Ex Steel Plate And Some Washers. It's Easier To Pull And Lasts A Long Time Too..

red88r
01-29-2013, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by 8686

This is all we have ever done and works great. From our 250cc to our 340cc quad.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Take out one of the 250R steel plates & put back in one 400EX steel plate.
Replace the springs with CR500 springs.
Put one of the 250R aluminum drain bolt washers under each clutch spring bolt, on the outside under the bolt.

All this is doing is making the whole clutch pack thicker & in turn causing the pressure plate to apply more pressure to keep the clutch from slipping.

As Honda designed the 250R clutch, the pressure is enough to hold once released, but not to great to keep the plates from slipping just a bit after gear shifting, a cushion of sort you could say for the trans gears.

Once you add these few things to the clutch, it makes no difference the price of a new set of fibers should you replace them, be it a high priced or cheap as you can find, because this mod will remove just about all of the clutch slippage.
Neil

250Renvy
01-30-2013, 09:32 AM
This upgrade should be put in the sticky section.

C-LEIGH RACING
01-30-2013, 10:13 AM
The 250R springs can be used, but will make the clutch lever just a bit harder to pull.

I did this clutch mod many years ago, to train riders how to go around a corner in the proper gear.
Will cut out that fanning of a clutch lever coming out of a corner to keep the revs up, because after the mod, about one maybe two laps fanning that lever & those left clutch fingers are done.
It wont take long, they will find the right gear & not have to fan that lever to keep those engine revs up to make the engine pull.
Neil

Grande Huevos
01-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Thank you very much Neil that's exactly what I was looking for!