PDA

View Full Version : which crf 450 motor

jpfmotors
01-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Iam looking into putting a crf 450 into my trx450 ive seen a few done, looks like somthing i can tackle with my skills, Iam just wondering which year motor would be a better motor for my application? I would be using it for some mx in the summer and ice racing in the winter i would do a few enginee mods at first piston, cam, poort and polish then later more engine work, any addvice on an engine would be helpfull thanks

patrickj75
01-29-2013, 11:04 AM
If you can afford it the 09+ EFI motors are cool. I'm putting an 06 in my LTR. The 02-08 are a lot cheaper to buy. Both should make good power regardless.

hontrx265r
01-29-2013, 04:26 PM
I think the 05 crf was the hardest hitting, they are all fast but they smooth out as the years progress, the intent was to make them more "rideable" in a dirt bike and have less fatigue on the rider.

blacknblue#2
02-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I have an 06 CRF in my TRX. Jetted right with a full exhaust i dont see why anyone would ever need anymore. I ride with all built 450R's and aint any of them have the power mine does. I wouldnt even wanna put it up against a stock TRX with the same mods my stock CRF has (exhaust and jets) cause it would just be brutal to the poor TRX. and its reliable. Everything ive done to my CRF motor was done purely on preventive maintenance. never a failure like i always had with my TRX motors.

atvmxer79
02-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I'd say the 03 motor is the best. I know many people who have had them for YEARS. Trans is solid where the newer ones (IMO) are weaker. I run a stock motor and it pulls off the gate. I'd opt for the 04 piston tho it's has a little higher compression.