PDA

View Full Version : All the SAND RIDERS

Grande Huevos
01-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Hey guys I do the majority of my riding here in the woods of Kansas and have only had the chance to play in the sand twice and was hooked immediatly!!! I will be making my third trip this April and my question for you is WHAT IS THE BEST TIRE SETUP for sand. Ive ran a set of cheaper straight paddles and a set of itp sandstars but they were both on 10 in wheels. I am under the impression that you want somthing smaller, say a 8in wheel because the tire is taller and will flex causing you to hook better? I was thinking about skat trak haulers 8in wheel with an 8 or 9 paddle. What do you guys think?? I have a ported 330 on vp 110, v-force 2s, 38mm air striker,air box eliminator, trx5 pipe, and esr silencer. oem ignition and stock stroke long rod

SilverLake250R
01-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Skat-trak Haulers or Extremes, 20" tall, 8 inch rim, 8 paddle. I have a 344cc motor and they work great.

aztecgwynn
01-27-2013, 11:18 AM
10" Sand Skate II, not very good as a Hauler for drag racing but all around that is what I only use and is the best of both worlds duning and drag racing.

Grande Huevos
01-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by SilverLake250R
Skat-trak Haulers or Extremes, 20" tall, 8 inch rim, 8 paddle. I have a 344cc motor and they work great.

So would you say that the straight paddles are the best for an all around application as opposed to the slanted v cut style? I have heard the straights are best for dragging and v cuts are best for trails/regular duning but I didnt know if there was any truth to this or if you could even tell a difference? Im sure I will find my self lining up on the strip a few times but I dont much care for drag racing, I feel its somthing that who ever has more money will win and doesnt require much talent if any. I have my fun chasing or being chased through the trails and playing around on the ridgelines and sides of dunes.

aztecgwynn
01-28-2013, 11:29 AM
I have used both myself straight and V cut paddles. But can't really remember if there was a major difference.
But what I personally am more into is the weight of the paddles more than anything. Haulers are the lightest and I believe the skates were a bit heavier.
Either way you choose you cant go wrong with either but sand skate II are no longer made, and personally I would stay away from the chinese or lower end paddles.

aztecgwynn
01-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Personally I believe the v cut are better for all around sand riding more than the straight cut.

troybilt
01-28-2013, 11:56 AM
In my opinion, 8 paddle haulers on 8" wheels, nothing else compares for the average bike, I'd tried almost everything.... I run 8 paddles on a bone stock 89 250r and it pulls them perfectly. I have no trouble whipping it or hitting the trails hard...just takes slightly more body english

aztecgwynn
01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
I agree 100% with troybilt!

dunatic
01-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Like you riding only dirt...the only riding I do is in the sand.

A good setup whether your riding glamis, saint anthonys, sand mountain, or any of the beach sand out west would be a 21-11-10 on a 10x9 or 10x8 rim, running 8 paddle hauler extremes on a bead to bead carcass.

The taller tire will keep you sprockets out of the sand in the deeper stuff. The narrower rim makes the tire more rounded.

When you launch the whole tire is buried in the sand connecting all the paddles and giving good hook up.

Once you get rolling, the tire floats better and causes less drag (which is the biggest killer in the sand).

8 paddles is a good all around paddle count. Sure you might be able to pull more, but your not drag racing.

If you ride desert sand the granules are much smaller and compact tighter. Thus you need less paddle.

Grande Huevos
01-29-2013, 06:39 AM
right on guys thanks for all the info, looks like haulers it is!

etccb
01-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Length of swingarm is also a factor in how hooked you will want to go with your tire. I agree with these guys 8 inch wheel and 21" tall. One thing that I do different then most due to the duning that I mostly do with a stock length swinger is go down on the paddle to a 7 paddle glider. This is not the best for the drags at all but for dune PLAY it is very FUN with a non extended swinger.
Good Luck.

dunatic
01-29-2013, 10:11 AM
I see your from Cali. Assuming that you ride Glamis. As I mentioned earlier that desert sand packs much tighter, then the less need for more paddles.

We go to Glamis or Saint Anthonys every other year, but ride the Oregon dunes 10-20 days a year.

I suggested going with a 21 tall tire, as you wouldnt need to change gearing and mounted on a 8 or 9 inch wide rim will help balloon the paddle for better flotation.

8 paddle is a good all around count.

Buying extreme's is just a good investment, considering the difference in costs and how much longer they last.

Then mounting them on a bead to bead buff carcuse for lighter weight and better flex of the extreme paddle.

Grande Huevos
01-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Ill be running stock length and riding dunes at litte sahara oklahoma. This is the only sand ive ever been in so I couldnt tell ya how it compares. I think im gonna go with the 8 paddle haulers and see how I like it.