PDA

View Full Version : anyone own an mx track?

TacicalRedneck
01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Sort of been thinking here lately about making a little playground- one bed full of dirt at a time.anyone have any pictures of tracks, pretty flat area id be doing it in. I was told to use fillers like rocks, stumps, barrels.

How could i pack everything down so i dont lost a berm in 2 days? Water it down and drive over it, or rent a bobcat?

quad2xtreme
01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
I almost bought Archer Lodge about 3 weeks ago. It is a track that has been operating for about 30 years I guess near Raleigh, NC.

In most states, you aren't allowed to disrupt the soil and such without getting permits. In North Carolina, you have to deal with NCDENR. In other words, you can't just go out and buy 40-80 acres and start building a track. You have to plan for runoff, generally have a sendiment pond, etc.

I know 3 people who decided they could build a backyard track. All got fined and none have tracks now. The engineering and permit process is more than most folks are willing to pay.

I also know quite a few people that do have tracks that they built without any permits and been running this way for years with no issues. It is a bit of a crapshoot.

CJM
01-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Further you are away from people and their prying eyes the better if you want to do such a thing. All it takes is one idiot to call the town and complain.

rf928
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Making a track is hard with anything but a Cat or tracked SkidSteer. I use the JD6420 and 6400, I like the 6420 a lot better for the 4WD and big tires on the front to pack it down. I don't have a watering rig so I usually plan on doing it before the rain, but it's pretty tough. If you can truck dirt in the better, I use the grain truck for that as well. Fillers would work, I didn't use them because I was scared to use bales :P but whatever floats your goat!

Post pics, be cool to see if you get going!

mhill157
01-27-2013, 07:19 AM
Make sure you have a plan. I made the mistake of starting to small and having to expand all the jumps and reroute multiple times. As far as fillers go, use everything you can.
Just a warning: try to find a front end loader of some sort. Skid steers are small and inefficient.
Have fun building, its addicting!!!

zyoung04
01-27-2013, 07:44 AM
I wasn't in on the building but I've been around to help maintain it. But the guys I ride with built a practice track in the back yard with basically a bob cat. It has a 6 pack rythem section, a couple different spots that has 2 lanes.l, and a 90' triple. And at the bottom where the loop is we put in a tunnel jump.

Here's a pic of it from google earth it wasn't completely finished at the time of the time.

SpasticR450
01-28-2013, 03:24 AM
Around 8 years ago I used to work on my little mx track every day using shovel all day long every day. For berms to make them last I built them 3ft thick and made grass grow on the back side for a week or so before using them and didn't gas it hard on them. I would shape them as good as I could with the shovel and my foot and then go slow over the berm with my quad to pack it.

One time 2 pro racers were staying at my neighbors who also were quad guys and because I had a track they came over. In less than 10 mins my berms were ripped up to nothing because they rode it like a real mx track. But what i like is the fact they were pro racers and scared of my one jump. They needed to take a shovel to take the lip off my one jump that was like a fmx back flip jump when they were pros in mags when i was used to hitting it every day. 6ft 80 degree down hill jump.

SpasticR450
01-28-2013, 03:47 AM
another pic

SpasticR450
01-28-2013, 03:48 AM
Another

blacknblue#2
01-28-2013, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by zyoung04
I wasn't in on the building but I've been around to help maintain it. But the guys I ride with built a practice track in the back yard with basically a bob cat. It has a 6 pack rythem section, a couple different spots that has 2 lanes.l, and a 90' triple. And at the bottom where the loop is we put in a tunnel jump.

Here's a pic of it from google earth it wasn't completely finished at the time of the time.

HAHAHA you can see michaels patch around the table/double. What a chickensheet......I had a hand in buildin this one. Mainly a supervision hand. The guys would get would start dumpin dirt and i would say "Lets put the landing here" so they would then when it was built they were like...."ummm thats big you better try it out" So after a few sketchy but lucky first jumps i quit telling them where to put landings

Kovatch
01-28-2013, 11:02 AM
As you are designing your track and getting ideas, realized it will take at least two to four times the dirt you think it will.

We used a skid steer, trac hoe, and a dozer. Skid steer is the most effective for moving dirt and getting everything about 90% perfect. Dump the dirt and drive over it repeatedly. Over time as you rip the berms, they will just "blow" away. You have to keep them waters and packed down.

Another thing to remember is that a 1 wide quad track is about 10' wide and that will create a 1 line track. If you have the resources, consider making the narrowest part of the jumps (usually the take off lip) at least 15'. This allows you to ride over different lines and not beat down 1 path around your track.

Time & money...

quad2xtreme
01-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Kovatch
As you are designing your track and getting ideas, realized it will take at least two to four times the dirt you think it will.

We used a skid steer, trac hoe, and a dozer. Skid steer is the most effective for moving dirt and getting everything about 90% perfect. Dump the dirt and drive over it repeatedly. Over time as you rip the berms, they will just "blow" away. You have to keep them waters and packed down.

Another thing to remember is that a 1 wide quad track is about 10' wide and that will create a 1 line track. If you have the resources, consider making the narrowest part of the jumps (usually the take off lip) at least 15'. This allows you to ride over different lines and not beat down 1 path around your track.

Time & money...

along these same lines...my favorite is when landers are narrower than the takeoff ramps. Nothing like landing on the side of a lander.

KKiowaTJ
01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
We bury old washing machines, Barrels, Fridge's, Logs and utility poles. Enough so they dont move and then cover it with clay and then black dirt and wood chips/mulch. Then add sand if wanted.

First we go out and cut the lines, Turns and where we want berms. That way you know where to dump and a rut to build from.

To pack it down, A skid is used in most places. But we never ride on it or build a new track until fall time. That way the dirt settles and dont blow out. The frost, Snow weight and the spring rains pack it down well.

To each their own, The worst thing you can do is ride on it as soon as its done. Dirt wont settle and will always be blowing out corners.

TacicalRedneck
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
thought i'd share this:

place i ride at (Royal ATV in Clarkson KY) has a little playground. This is really my thing. All the jumps are uphill- next time i go i'm going to take some pictures of the whole thing. Pretty much all uphill so no hardley no extra dirt was needed. Up at the top of the hill there is a rounded off table top we use the side as a berm.

i'll have to get some good pics to show the whole thing. It's a good layout.

DP #000
02-10-2013, 09:40 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3640170559956&set=vb.1145066874&type=3

here's my track at my house that was built a few years back. best its ever been though in this video. this video was taken during the sumer, i havent raced since 2010 after i broke my neck. track just sits there now, dont have any time to ride and cant risk getting hurt since i race cars now, and on a team. oh well.

edit** sound is off by a few seconds.

fastrnrik
02-12-2013, 05:59 PM
We have one, an MX and an XC. Here is a link to the slideshows of them....

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=490952

I built it for my 8 year old son. Just hauled 100 or so loads in last week so I can re-do and change some things on the MX track again. I keep it changed up so it doesn't get boring.

If you're building a track, here are a few tips....

*You don't need good fill dirt or whatever to build a track. Use what you can get cheap or free, and then if you want to, top the track with a good surface material, or just face the jumps.

*Jumps SOAK UP DIRT. One of my jumps has over a hundred 18 cy loads of dirt in it. Use anything to take up space- pipes, old cars, rocks, old semi trailer or container, old RV, whatever, then cover with dirt. I really want an old school bus to incorporate into a jump lol

*You can get dirt for free. If there are any road construction or any kind of site work jobs in your area, go out to the site and ask the super if there is any excess/export fill or unsuitable materials/spoil being hauled off. Usually any good excess material is being hauled to another job to use or stockpiled, but you never know. For example, one of my jobs has 9000 yards (thats 500 truckloads) of the most beautiful orange clay/sand that I am literally giving away. I have no place to stock pile it and its too far to haul back to my track, so we're hauing it to a local landfill and giving it away. I will have another 8000 yards next month on another job in the same area. I sure would like to have that for my track!
The usuitable materials is the stuff that cant be used under roads or foundations- usually heavy clay or rock. They are usually happy to give this away. I know we are.

*As an option to dirt, you can get wood chippings for free too. Find the companies that trim trees for the power lines or even tree services and see if they have any. They are usually always looking for places to dump. I get 8 to 10 loads a week for free from a power line company called Asplundh. The mulch makes good jumps and you can mix it with sand to hold moisture.

*Someone mentioned permits earlier. Make sure of your situation and if you're legal or can get around it. If not, get ready for headaches. The local governments, and enviro agencies can make your life miserable for real.

*After you get it built, remember you gotta maintain it- grading it after it rains & washes out, fixing holes, etc, etc, etc

Hope some of this helps. Have fun!

Lasher
02-19-2013, 07:54 PM
One thing I heard from a lawyer is for a private track to get a permit to move dirt on your property. (technical term was used but forgot)

Not to build a track because that will set off all kinds of alarms with the town. But basically you are getting a permit to move the existing dirt around the property. So what if that dirt you are moving is in a pile and you just happened to jump it with your quad. :)

There was a practice track that I know of (legit one) where this was used and the track is still being used today. Of course the person who runs the track cannot bring in one ounce of dirt, he can only use the existing dirt on site. But he is able to run the track legally.