PDA

View Full Version : what do i do??? oil filter cover bolt snapped off

steve181
01-26-2013, 09:28 AM
long bolt that holds the oil cover on broke off in the motor. about 1/2in of threads are still on the bolt so a pretty good portion of the bolt is still in there

ben300
01-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Unless you have the tools to do it on your own, your probably gonna have to take it to a machinist/machine shop.

I had this happen to me last winter, but I was lucky that the bolt snapped off where the bolt enters the case . So I was able to thread it out with my fingers.

Those bolts only need to be finger tight.

Stickman400
01-26-2013, 10:34 AM
I got extremely lucky also, but my bolt was also snapped off down inside the threads. It happened the day before a big ride so I said eff it and tightened the short bolt as much as I could without breaking it off and went on the ride while checking the oil every 30 minutes or so. Then when I got the new bolt from the dealer I measured the length of it and then stuck a straight dentist pick in the hole to see if it was still down in there and somehow it was the same length as the stock bolt. So the only thing I can assume is the bolt vibrated out with all the riding I did on it. I don't know if I would recommend doing that but that's what worked for me.

steve181
01-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
I got extremely lucky also, but my bolt was also snapped off down inside the threads. It happened the day before a big ride so I said eff it and tightened the short bolt as much as I could without breaking it off and went on the ride while checking the oil every 30 minutes or so. Then when I got the new bolt from the dealer I measured the length of it and then stuck a straight dentist pick in the hole to see if it was still down in there and somehow it was the same length as the stock bolt. So the only thing I can assume is the bolt vibrated out with all the riding I did on it. I don't know if I would recommend doing that but that's what worked for me.

i tried to tighten the other side as tight as i could get it and it forced the cover open on the other side so i wont be able to do this

steve181
01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
also been reading about taking the clutch cover off to take it out?

they have links but its 404'd

not sure what to do after you would take the cover off :confused:

steve181
01-26-2013, 01:00 PM
well from looking at some diagrams. when the side case is off it. it should be exposed enough that i should be able to get it with my fingers or an ez out

01boneless
01-26-2013, 02:14 PM
or thread into the side case with a smaller bolt...

CJM
01-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Remove clutch cover, should be sticking tight out.

If you can get a small pick in there you might be able to tap it out.

Rip_Tear
01-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Lube the heck out of it, since it shouldn't be that tight to begin with and something should work to spin it out. Even if you take a drill bit and tape the shaft and only leave the very tip exposed to touch the broken bolt and run it in reverse.

You could use/make almost anything with a rough end that would catch the bolt and try to turn it as long as it's not going to damage the sidewalls/threads.

I'm not great at explain it, but I've done this before and I am also a machinist, sometimes you just have to mess around when you can't do it the right way.

JOHNDOE83
01-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Grab it tightly with vise grips and spin it out?

quadmanw
01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
This happened to me... I tapped into the side case and put a screw in it... worked well for about 5 oil changes until the soft metal gave out... I'm going to try to helicoil it here soon..

AtvKid4Eva
01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Remove clutch cover, should be sticking tight out.

If you can get a small pick in there you might be able to tap it out.

This is the correct way to do it, there more than likely will be enough thread sticking out on the inside for you to grab with a pair of vice grips. Give that a shot before anything else.

steve181
01-28-2013, 05:41 PM
got the bolt out today

there wasnt much hanging out only a little spur. just buried the spur into my finger and spun it out haha

CJM
01-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Excellent. Now dont over tighten it again!

TIP: 1/4 drive ratchet and hold only the head, make HAND tight. Do not use oil or other lube on threads!