PDA

View Full Version : 400EX in the Bed of a Dakota Quad Cab

E400X
03-14-2003, 06:38 AM
Can anyone here that has a Dakota Quad Cab tell me if their 400EX fits in the bed with the tailgate down and a Bed Extender. I am about to purchase one and when i did the measurments the bed was 63" long and the tailgate was another 18". So it should fit back there since the 400EX is 72", but I don't know how much room the bed extender takes up and i wanted to here from someone that has this setup so i know for sure. Thanks for the help.

400ex Magnum
03-14-2003, 06:50 AM
I think I can help you. I have a 2000 Dakota Quad cab and a 2001 EX. I am not sure what you mean by a bed extender. The EX will go into the bed of the Quad Cab, but you cannot shut the tailgate. It is close, but you need about another 2 inches. Sometimes if I am towing a trailer and don't want the tail gate down, I will remove the tailgate and run the ex up into the bed without the tailgate. The rear tires will overhang the back of the bed a few inches, but nothing bad.

Glow Plug
03-14-2003, 07:01 AM
are you talking about the bed thing's (have no idea what there called) and they go ontop of the tailgate when it is down and it has like 3 or 4 bars runing horasontily and it is as high as the box?

E400X
03-14-2003, 07:19 AM
Yeah, the truck bed extenders that you can buy which fold out over the tailgate end to make the tailgate space usable. That is good news then if you can fit yours in the bed without the tailgate on, that should leave me plenty of room if i use one of the bed extenders. It should also leave me enough room to drive it in the bed with some ramps too. thanks

RAGE
03-14-2003, 07:51 AM
I think he is talking about those things that came on the Ford Explorer Sport Tracs
Its a cage that folds out to the edge of the tailgate.

Check out these. INteresting to say the least

http://www.truckintrends.com/bedextension.asp

400ex Magnum
03-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by E400X
Yeah, the truck bed extenders that you can buy which fold out over the tailgate end to make the tailgate space usable. That is good news then if you can fit yours in the bed without the tailgate on, that should leave me plenty of room if i use one of the bed extenders. It should also leave me enough room to drive it in the bed with some ramps too. thanks

Yeah, I know what you mean now. I was having a brain cramp this morning when you described it. I have thought about getting one of those. That way, I can pack gear or gas cans on the tailgate behind the quad. I use the ramps when I have the tailgate on or off, just much more room if you have the tailgate on. I do wish the bed was about two inches longer. Then the tailgate would close.

@Bad465EX
03-14-2003, 03:27 PM
yeah it is great with the bed extender ive seen a couple of them at the badlands

400exrules
03-14-2003, 03:40 PM
why dont u like grind out 2 inches of the bed wear the rear wheels are or sand down where the front wheels are so u can fit the quad in. you could like round out like an inch off the front and back and smoothe it out so it doesnt catch your eye real easy or somethin

Woodsrider
03-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
why dont u like grind out 2 inches of the bed wear the rear wheels are or sand down where the front wheels are so u can fit the quad in. you could like round out like an inch off the front and back and smoothe it out so it doesnt catch your eye real easy or somethin

:huh

CHAUNCY
03-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by 400ex Magnum
I do wish the bed was about two inches longer. Then the tailgate would close.

You can solve that problem with 2 tie downs. You take one end and hook it to the tailgate then hook the other end to the footpeg or nerf bar. You have to then pull the tiedown tight so that it will secure the tailgate. You have to do this after you have tied down the quad. It still wont shut all the way but it will close as far as the tires. Thats what we do on my dads F-250 when we go riding and it works very well.

luvmyex
03-15-2003, 06:14 AM
Thats the main reason im going with the club cab.Should be getting it on monday.The dealer has let me use a quad cab for the weekend.The inside room is nice,but i think id rather have the bed space.

Steve-o 400EX
03-15-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules

WTF??:huh :confused:

luvmyex
03-16-2003, 12:43 PM
THis is the quad cab that the dealer is letting me use for the weekend.

luvmyex
03-16-2003, 12:46 PM
the ramps dont fit either.

E400X
03-17-2003, 01:53 AM
luvmyex,
thanks for the pics, they were just what i was looking for. I am planning on buying a bed extender, so that will leave me plenty of room for my ramps and and a gas can and other gear. thanks again

chris4w1
03-17-2003, 04:05 AM
it should fit in the back of the truck but you probally will not be able to use a tail gate extender because then it may be too narrow to fit in the back. ar at least mine was with +4 axle

HONDAofTROY100
03-17-2003, 01:05 PM
anyone have an idea on how to fit a 400 into my sonoma step side?!... the quad is tooo wide.. what can i do!?

Steve-o 400EX
03-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by HONDAofTROY100
anyone have an idea on how to fit a 400 into my sonoma step side?!... the quad is tooo wide.. what can i do!?

There is a company out that sells a product that mounts on top of your bed and you can drive the quad up ramps right onto it. I dont know what its called though. Search the internet for atv transportaion or something like that.

Jennys440'Dale
03-18-2003, 05:17 AM
I know this truck may be a little big for an example, but my friend has this F-250 and he has an awesome rack system going on. He has the ramps on top of the bed of his truck and loads them from the side.

buckeye400ex
03-18-2003, 05:51 AM
Yo Jenny, that's a sweet truck!! HA! It's mine. Here's another pic of the entire rig, after returning from a weekend in Wayne National.

Steve-o 400EX
03-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Jennys400ex
I know this truck may be a little big for an example, but my friend has this F-250 and he has an awesome rack system going on. He has the ramps on top of the bed of his truck and loads them from the side.

Thats exactly what I was talking about. Good job!!;)