PDA

View Full Version : 250r flat track motor ideas

slouis
01-22-2013, 07:04 PM
my friend has a 265cc lrd power valve, cool head, ported cylinder,38mm khein carb. just looking for ideas or suggestions from what everyone else is running and what they like for flat track tt racing

thanks steve

C-LEIGH RACING
01-23-2013, 10:27 AM
You can build that 265 with porting two ways. One, a high rpm low compression build, or either real high compression build & make the engine produce its power output in the low rpm ranges.

The engine build you choose, will pretty much depend on your riding level, meaning the high rpm build, you would need to be upper level rider to be able the handle the quickness of that engines output.

265 being small as it is, if you go the low compression route, you'll need to really sing it some high rpms to make it produce power, so that will make everything the rider is doing while racing have to be real quick.
Sometimes if the riders not up to par with that type of engine, normally it is hard for them to control it & winning most of the time out of the pic.

265 high compression build, cylinder could be bottom end ported & engine would produce its power in the lower rpm ranges, be easier to ride & control out on the track, so it would be more friendly to the rider not in the higher riding levels.

I've be in TT for many years, seen lot of riders come & go & one thing that stood out was the type of engines riders were using.
High rpm type engine & a rider in the lower levels, didnt stay very long, because its no fun never winning, but they all knew they had to work their way up in what ever they were riding.

Low rpm high compression engine & a lower level rider, by that engine being easier to handle, simular to a 4 stroke engine, they could at times maybe win a race, because they are not fighting the quad trying to handle it & can spend more time with they mind on the track.

In all my years of TT racing & the riders that have been on my team, they all have had engines with woods & low rpm output cylinder porting along with high compression & we have a good standing record every season.

Your friend, do you know which race series their going to be competing in.
Neil