PDA

View Full Version : gncc prep?

Drifterboy3
01-22-2013, 10:10 AM
hey guys a have an 03 400ex that im going to start racing gncc this year. current mods are a pipe, 11:1 piston, yfz450 front shocks a rear skid plate and thats it. what would you suggest in terms of additional mods. i would like to get it bored to a 426 before then. and i am also planning on getting some 21 inch tires to help clear ruts. oh also a belly skid to protect the frame and engine. ive heard rear skids can be a pain in gncc due to ground clearance, should i ditch it for a sprocket, and rotor quad? and what about wheels will stockers hold up? thanks in advance!

xcrider
07-11-2013, 03:34 PM
hey guys a have an 03 400ex that im going to start racing gncc this year. current mods are a pipe, 11:1 piston, yfz450 front shocks a rear skid plate and thats it. what would you suggest in terms of additional mods. i would like to get it bored to a 426 before then. and i am also planning on getting some 21 inch tires to help clear ruts. oh also a belly skid to protect the frame and engine. ive heard rear skids can be a pain in gncc due to ground clearance, should i ditch it for a sprocket, and rotor quad? and what about wheels will stockers hold up? thanks in advance!

Stock tires will not hold up, Stock rims can take a lot of abuse but change the tires, anything 6 ply. Don't forget a kill switch. If you have a rear skid already on it then just run it. try a race and if you like it then invest more money for better upgrades.

Mtndew99
07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Just run the rear skid plate just make sure the bolt are loctited cuz it will be ripped off same as belly skid and get good tires nerf bars or heel guards and probably an oversized gas tank and oversized oil tank the 400 will get hot in 2 hour races just make sure all your bearings are tight and bolts are tight I actually had my swingarm bolt come half way out during a race and just position your levers in a comfortable spot and your shifter I raised mine up so it was easier to get to and yes the stock rims will hold up mine have held up great and I ride really rocky tracks

mmsoup
07-12-2013, 08:06 PM
I ran a stock Z400 at Florida, Georgia and Steel Creek in 2009 while my 450R was down. Rear skid plate WILL drag in rutted areas so a Sprocket Guard will pay better dividends than motorwork. I grabbed the holeshot in Georgia on that quad so power isn't everything. Ran out of fuel in Florida so bigger tank would help

I ran Hypers and tireballs. I switched them over from my R for those races and would never run a stock wheel and tire at a GNCC. Costs too much to get there to have a tire problem put you out.

Have fun! We'll be at Unadilla in the fall