PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating/Bearing Housings

Balaz_73*00
01-22-2013, 09:27 AM
I dont know why im so paranoid about this now, Ive had my frame done before and didnt think twice about it. What do you guys do to protect say the steering stem housing from getting powder coated? I imagine a good shop should be on top of this but im thinking I should probably bring it up. Im also thinking this time around I want to plug all my bolt holes so I dont have to chase them all. Whats the best option here in your guys opinion?

bbender85
01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
my PC guy asked me up front about which surfaces to leave bare, and plugged all my thread holes without asking. he used little plastic plugs, not sure if they are really for that purpose or if they're something else he made work, but they did.

Ruby Soho
01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
just tell them what you don't want covered

Scro
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
Whats the best option here in your guys opinion?

Send it to Pappy, and don't worry about it. :macho

Pappy
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
The shop should plug all bolt holes and bearing areas. Just ask....always best to ask because some shops will charge extra or not do it! Also be sure to SHOW them the bearing areas on any parts you take to get coated.

If they will not plug or tape, find another shop!

AtvKid4Eva
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Yep, my powdercoating guy always plugs every threaded hole with a small rubber plug as well as a bigger plug for stuff like the steering stem hole. It should be standard, you shouldnt have to clean every hole after its coated :rolleyes: thats bad procedure.

Balaz_73*00
01-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Right on, thanks guys. Ill make sure to ask plenty of questions ahead of time.

guy310
01-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Andy if you go to that guy in Miller called Perfect Finish he covers all the holes but you have to tell him which is which. He does great work and is very resonable. I have used him a few times and looked great every time.

CJM
01-25-2013, 08:39 PM
When you get it back run a tap thru all the holes anyways just incase. My PC guy covered all the holes but there was still a little bit of powder in there.

Balaz_73*00
01-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Now the question is, clear coat or not?

AtvKid4Eva
01-28-2013, 08:52 AM
none of my parts ever have had clear coat on them and they always are very durable. Im sure the clearcoat helps protect but is addition to the cost. Id say no on the clearcoat, but thats just me. Clearcoat is more for UV protection.

NacsMXer
01-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Also when it's done make sure to scrape down to bare metal where the coil grounds to the frame as well as where the subframe mounts to the frame. I chased my tail with a no-start issue after having my frame and sub PC'd.

I had my battery grounding to the subframe, but it was not a good ground since the PC was interfering at the frame/subframe interface. I also had to grind off the PC at the motor mounts to the frame as the motor itself was not grounding properly. After I did all this, it finally started up.

300ex_#387
01-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
none of my parts ever have had clear coat on them and they always are very durable. Im sure the clearcoat helps protect but is addition to the cost. Id say no on the clearcoat, but thats just me. Clearcoat is more for UV protection.

You would be suprised how much the clear coat actually helps.

I have had powedercoat done with and without clear by Pappy and the clear seems to hold up better in my opinion.

Pappy
01-30-2013, 05:46 PM
A lot depends on the type of power used as well. Not all powder need or will benefit from a clear, but it doesn't hurt