PDA

View Full Version : GT Thunder 450r poly rotor guard on 400

ben300
01-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know if the poly rotor guard gt thunder sells for the 450 will fit on the 400 swinger?

this past race season i ran the big thick aluminum swing arm skid plate on my bike and i kept getting caught up in rutter sections. so this season i want to switch to a sprocket guard and would also like to use a rotor guard if possible. i know the Jet sprocket guard firts universally on the 450 on and the honda and the GTT sprocket guard does to i believe, but i dont know about the poly guard.

any input?

400man
01-22-2013, 12:16 AM
I think the 450 swingarm has 2 extra skid plate mounts instead of 4 like on the EX swingarm, and that the gtt poly rotor guard uses the 4 rear mounts I think?

ben300
01-23-2013, 06:48 AM
thanks for the reply 400man. im gonna have to get ahold of gtt and ask them about this.

i know on jet's website, they're sprocket guard and poly rotor gaurds and kit combo are advertised for the 450r, 400ex, and 300ex with not difference between the three. so id imagine they bolt up the same.

http://imageshack.us/a/img4/63/sprocket.png

Blodg
03-01-2013, 03:09 PM
Did you ever figure out if this will work? I may put a poly rotor guard on the 400 but in the pics it looks like it used 4 bolts for mounting where the 400EX only has 2?

atvrider13
03-01-2013, 03:44 PM
A 400ex rotor is alot larger than the 450r rotor. It probably wont fit

ben300
03-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Blodg
Did you ever figure out if this will work? I may put a poly rotor guard on the 400 but in the pics it looks like it used 4 bolts for mounting where the 400EX only has 2?

well i ended up emailing Laz at GT and he said that it would not work. He said that 450 uses two mounting holes, while the 400 uses four, so it would not work.

he did say that i could use my GT sprocket guard with the GTT 400ex swing arm skid, but i would have to modify the swing arm skid to clear the sprocket guards.

so i have literally no idea what im going to do? i have little less than 2 months before i have to decide so i'll see. if any of you guys have ideas, or any suggestions on what to run, im all ears!

i also emailed nick adams at Jett last friday bout their poly rotor guard, but i havent got a response back. id imagine they are very busy prepping for this up coming season.

chronicsmoke
03-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Look into a 450r rear end swap? Do you have your rear shock rebuilt yet?

I've been told (it would be nice if dustin_j could step in here and confirm or dismiss this) the 04/05 trxs have the same linkage geometry (06+ is different) so maybe you could just pick up a 450r swinger and go be back in business?

400man
03-05-2013, 01:22 AM
im using a single sprocket guard and a modified gt thunder 450r skidplate as my rotor guard. Im using the 450r skid plate cause Im running a 450r rear brake setup and the 400ex skid plate would have alot of extra clearance cause of the bigger rotor. I did some welding and modifiyng on it and added some extra steel to beef it up. Ive been pretty happy with it and it seems pretty tough. these pics are kinda old though,

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/gncc400ex013.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/gncc400ex011.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/gncc400ex014.jpg

ben300
03-05-2013, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by 400man
im using a single sprocket guard and a modified gt thunder 450r skidplate as my rotor guard. Im using the 450r skid plate cause Im running a 450r rear brake setup and the 400ex skid plate would have alot of extra clearance cause of the bigger rotor. I did some welding and modifiyng on it and added some extra steel to beef it up. Ive been pretty happy with it and it seems pretty tough. these pics are kinda old though,

400man....so will the 450r skid bolt up to the 400 swinger, or are you using a 450 swinger like chronic suggested above?

also went back and read through Garon Davis's 2011 GNCC 400ex build, and he uses the GT thunder 400ex skid plate which incorporates a rotor and sprocket guard in it and is supposed to provide the max ground clearance. i may just end up doing that.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=456991&highlight=garon+davis

im also gonna try and design one. im and mechanical engineer and am gonna come up with something and try and have my buddy build it in his fab shop.

400man
03-05-2013, 02:01 PM
im using the 400ex swingarm. i just welded some extra steel pieces to mount it with. i cut the piece off that covered the chain and just left like a little "shark fin" to help protect the chain. i know some other companys use that design with their rotor guards.

ben300
03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by 400man
im using the 400ex swingarm. i just welded some extra steel pieces to mount it with. i cut the piece off that covered the chain and just left like a little "shark fin" to help protect the chain. i know some other companys use that design with their rotor guards.

this is something similar to what im gonna do. i think im going to pruchase the gt 400ex swinger skid, put it on and see how i like it. i may end up modifying it, giving it a shark fin like yours and using my gt sprocket guards.

d90rick
03-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I run the gtt sprocket gaurd & have the 450r rear brake with the blingstar rotor guard & have alot of clearance & its super strong. Just an option

ben300
03-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by d90rick
I run the gtt sprocket gaurd & have the 450r rear brake with the blingstar rotor guard & have alot of clearance & its super strong. Just an option

ehhhhh....i looked into it, and i dont feel like spending $130 for a rotor guard, just because it has the blingstar name engraved on it...

...because i sent my rear shock to gregs atv to get my rear shock resprung and revalved for the GTT XC link for me weight and riding style, i decided to go with the gtt 400ex swing arm skid....according to laz (as long as i dotn run into as much trouble as sticman400 did), i should be good running it with my stock brake, and stock 39 tooth sprocket...

400man
03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
you probably wont have much need for a sprocket guard if you run the gtthunder skidplate by itself, it has really good clearance and offers good chain protection too.

CJM
03-15-2013, 07:07 PM
I got the GTT skid, very happy with it. I used some thick washers I had to space it out approx 3/16" at the most. It never gets hung up, and although it bent slightly it hasnt deformed. But I do ride in the sand.

It also barely protects the linkage, linkage is mostly exposed. If I had to do it again Id probably drill and tap the linkage for a skid Id make that could bolt to it.

DragonGunner
03-16-2013, 06:53 AM
I started out on a dg skid plate...I modified it a little better....going up a STEEP rutted hill at Badlands it hungup and stopped, backtires not touching the ground anymore....that is not fun. Haven't ran a rear skid plate for over 12 yrs. Never busted a chain, but have bent the brake rotors several times...I take them to work an roll form them back to flat.

Blodg
03-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
going up a STEEP rutted hill at Badlands it hungup and stopped, backtires not touching the ground anymore....
Dragon, this is off topic but how is Badlands? That is another place I am considering to visit this year and trying to determine if it is worth a 5 hour drive or if Silver Lake or somewhere else within that distance would be more to my liking.

DragonGunner
03-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Blodg
Dragon, this is off topic but how is Badlands? That is another place I am considering to visit this year and trying to determine if it is worth a 5 hour drive or if Silver Lake or somewhere else within that distance would be more to my liking.

..Check out their website.....Badlands is 2 hrs. away from me....been there probably 30 times over the last 13 yrs. Its alot of gravel pits, hills and creeks and woodlands...alot of 1 through 3rd gear riding mostly, lots of trails to play on and explore. The dunes are about 4 hr. trip an been there about 8 times because of the distance....at dunes you reallly can run through the gears and get to top end, wide open mostly, you cover everything in a couple hours max...then I get bored. Both are fun, just very different.

Blodg
03-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Dragon, thanks a lot for the little descriptions of each place. Eventually I would like to check both places out but after watching a few videos and from your descriptions I think Badlands is more my style of riding. They are both about 5 hours away for me so maybe I will go to one this summer and try the other one next year.

As we had already discussed, however, the advantage of going to Silver Lake is that I could bring the wife and younger kids and they could hang out on the beach while the older son and I ride. Decisions, decisions...