PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Trailblazer 250's

RIDER11X
03-13-2003, 10:50 PM
Looking for a new quad for my wife. Are these quads reliable? I'm not a Polaris fan, but she hates shifting and i want to spend no more than $3,000. How do they ride?

Thanks.:)

Braff1
03-13-2003, 11:24 PM
I just bought one for my daughter. It is a 2001 with not to many hours on it. From what I have reviewed they are pretty reliable. some minor flaws I have learned is that the lower steering post bearing will fail early on but you can replace it with a billet aluminum one that is nearly indestructable. they also have plenty of mods you can do to them to increase the fun ie. clutch kit, pipe and silencer. Mine has a RCR stage 1 kit that includes a pipe, silencer, and clutch kit and it really pumps up that engine. Remember though this is nothing like a 250 r, eventhough it is a 250 2 stroke but if your wife is like my daughter and wants something with enough power to still have some fun on then the TB is a good choice. Also something I liked is the TB is nearly the same length and width as a 400 ex but weighs a few more pounds. For me the added stability is a plus in the safety cataegory compared to a 250 ex.

Dan

RIDER11X
03-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the info!

She wants something that doesn't beat her up so bad on the trails. She has a Honda 200sx that rides so rough that I feel bad everytime we go riding because I wouldn't want to ride that thing. How is the TB in this area?

Do they use premix or an oil injector system?

Braff1
03-14-2003, 05:13 AM
The TB does have a smooth ride. If by chance she gets more aggressive in riding you can upgrade the front coil spring to heavy duty or dual rate spring and the add a heavy duty rear with rezzie for a good price. It is oil injected and if you want you can get an injector block off plate and mix your own.

freakystone
03-14-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Looking for a new quad for my wife. Are these quads reliable? I'm not a Polaris fan, but she hates shifting and i want to spend no more than $3,000. How do they ride?

Thanks.:)

Uhh, I would consider something else. I bought a 01' Trailblazer as a spare quad last summer it was used but in excellent condition. It was $2100. My 10 year old son rode it and liked it but he was coming off of an LT80. It sits really tall and is god aweful heavy. My wife rode it a few times and she is only 5'5" and 115 pounds so it was harder to handle than even my Z. I ended up giving it to my dad so he could tag along on atv outtings. We has only ridden it twice. He put his foot down and has over his heel once and tagged a tree with his right front tire at 40 mph, sending him head over heels the next time.

I had a 200SX back in 1986 and although that was a good small quad for its time, the Trailblazer will be a big improvement. The power of the 250 is marginal at best. I read how guys mod them but it is a huge waste of dollars. Unline most two strokes, it just doesnt respond that well to them.

I would personally recommend a used 250EX. I bought one of those used last year for my son. I paid $2500 and it was so mint I thought it was hot. My son rode it for 10 minutes after bringing it home and he put more scratches on it. It is quicker than the Trailblazer and handles much better. It has all the ammenities, electric start, shaft driven, reverse and best of all you have Honda fourstroke reliability verses Polaris two stroke reliability. It is also much lighter.

Good luck.

Chanman420q
03-14-2003, 07:06 AM
ya but she doesnt like shifting. i think the trail blazer wouldnt be do bad if she isnt that much of an aggressive rider

Sportrax10
03-14-2003, 08:18 AM
I have one for sale!:)

Sportrax10
03-14-2003, 08:23 AM
My sister is the only one that rode the TB and now she has a 250ex because she wanted gears and she wanted to be able to ride wheelies. The Polaris is much faster then the 250ex but doent not have the torque. It still is fun and is easy to ride. The TB is in almost perfect condition other then a couple scratches.

z400ACDC
03-14-2003, 12:39 PM
I bought my wife a new 2000. She would not let me get rid of that thing. I would hate to ride it all the time but she loves it.

ZSK
03-14-2003, 12:59 PM
All I can say is ULTRA reliable. Some people will disagree with me but who cares. My dad's friend has a 1987 250 4x4. Almost the same engine. The only problem with it in the 16 years he has owned it, was the piston rings went out last year. He replaced them and it still serves him good.

MotoXC33
03-19-2003, 04:48 PM
I had a trailblazer for a year and a half. It was a 00 model. I liked it. It's easy to ride and with normal use it will last a long time.

bansheeguy77
03-20-2003, 12:54 PM
yeah they are good quads....for slow and leasurly trail riding their good....but when u start to push the limits ya find out about it. i had a 00 tb. good quad with mods on it helps out alot. the only problem i had was i snapped the swingarm haha. but i beat the piss out of that quad...i jumped a 40ft double and cased it and didnt break anything. so for a wife its a great quad

speedy400
03-25-2003, 04:37 AM
I had one a few years back, it was a nice machine it had a few problems the biggest was it over heated on me every 5 min, I think it was just mine though,and back then i didnt know ANYTHING about quads except they are fun as hell, so if I would of got a new filter for it it probilly would of fixed it, I think it was just jetted fat al lthe time because of not much air intake....also I rode it pretty hard and the axle broke on it, we welded it but that'd be the 1t thing to go if you like to ride pretty hard.-darren

GOMER007
03-25-2003, 05:40 AM
I got mine a '96 in '97 I've found the bafel in the pipe is to much
for it. when I started my project tb I had made a pipe (part of w-star 5into6'' smoke stacke) at first it was runing w/o any bafel
it was lould with the indy in front. good quad!!

monkeyboy
03-25-2003, 09:45 AM
they fast:bandit:

bansheeguy77
03-25-2003, 10:56 AM
mine was so loud to....it had a hot seat pipe on. but i had the same problem with overheating. u could easily tell because it had no power and it wouldnt get high rpm. so for the first 3 mintues in summer it went ok....not fast but it pulled much harder than stock. play with the clutches ya could probably fix the problem.