PDA

View Full Version : How well do mx tires hold up?

TacicalRedneck
01-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Well- havn't got to do a whole lot of trail riding here lately- just putt-putting around here and there- was wondering how mx tires hold up- i was looking at the 18" holeshots and some 20" fronts.

-And will a 20x6x10 look weird on a stock rim?

slightlybent47
01-19-2013, 06:26 PM
It all depends one your riding stile, the terrain you ride on, how hard you corner, track or trail conditions, all play a factor.
It also depends on what you call worn out. Most racers change there tires quite often, not because the knobs are worn down, but because the sharp edge rounds off and you loose maximum grip.
I see a lot of threads asking how to get more power out of there bike, thinking that will make them faster. Truth is, tires play a bigger roll in how much grip you get and that translates to more power put to the ground.
If your just putting around and trail riding, you can get several years out of a set. Yes the knobs will round off but you still have plenty of knobs to work with.

And it depends on if you get a soft compound tire or hard. generaly the more plys the tire has the tuffer and longer they will last.

josborn
01-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Get Maxxis Razr's or Razr crosses, should last most of the season if you ride on rthe weekends, and stay out of the gravel pits.

DragonGunner
01-20-2013, 07:26 AM
I've had 18" rear and 20" fronts Holeshots that lasted a long time, MX, GP races and alot of woods riding...several yrs. The 20" fronts are pretty worn, like 10 yrs old now...but still got tread. I then went to Maxxis Razer 18" rear, 20" fronts that are around 6 yrs old and alot of time on them, and they are still good to go, ride them all the time....I would suggest getting the razrs.....and the 20" fronts on stock rims look ok to me.

DragonGunner
01-20-2013, 07:44 AM
Razr MX front and back...fronts still excellent, still have well over half on the back...still get great traction.

slightlybent47
01-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Simple dry rot will cause loss of traction. The tread may look good but the rubber gets old and looses grip.

TacicalRedneck
01-20-2013, 08:14 PM
this is the quad im looking at

debating keeping my beadlocks and x-rexes or keeping those razr mx's on there, he says there new. :confused:

TacicalRedneck
01-20-2013, 08:15 PM
said he'd even trade for my 400 but it has cracked valve cover

hmmmmmm

zyoung04
01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
I've had several different itp mx tars and of all things thorns always got me. Rocks and trees didn't seem to bother them. Id go with the maxxis a buddy had them and he didn't have any problems and they were a lil cheaper

SpasticR450
01-26-2013, 02:11 AM
Softer the rubber the better they work and the shorter they live. I had the first hole shot mx tires. Rubber was soft and hooked up like crazy but lasted 3 weeks.