View Full Version : Stiff throttle and clutch

shaggy01
01-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Well im trying to find ways to make the 400 less tiring to ride for this upcoming season so i went ahead and replaced my throttle cable and clutch cable since they are factory and have felt stiff for a while and thought that this would fix it.

Sadly, it didn't. They both feel smoother but not any lighter (if that makes sense)

Ive heard of pulling the spring out of the thumb throttle at the bars. and also undoing the spring in the carb one turn. Any problems with either of these?

As for the clutch, im somewhat at a loss. Maybe the guy who had it before me put stiffer springs in it and thats why the new cable didn't change anything.

Thanks for any help!

Jt2005trx440ex
01-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Hi. The trottle thing sounds like a problum my friend had with his yfz450 it was so stiffi dont see how he could ride it. i dont know if he ever got it fixed. But the clutch being stiff have u tryed ajusting it?

Thx JT

jman7290
01-18-2013, 06:28 AM
Make sure you don't have any tight bends in your cable runs. I would not remove any springs or spring tension, I had my throttle stick wide open from that once. Wasn't fun... I have stiffer springs on my clutch and I can still pull it easily with two fingers. Maybe your clutch basket is grooved up, check it and see, there would be little grooves in the fingers that the tabs of the clutch fibers ride in. If that's not it there may be some other problem with your clutch. You can always get a hydraulic clutch for around $200.00. As for your throttle you can get a thumb buddy, or ride more and get use to it, do thumb and finger exercises. I also bought a Terry Cable throttle assembly, it has a longer lever and helps out some. I had bad carpel tunnel in both of my hands, so I tried everything to avoid the operation but had to get it anyway! I can ride all day now!

Scro
01-18-2013, 08:11 AM
You can remove the spring in the housing, no issue. But it doesn't offer much resistance anyway. You can modify the spring in the carb. But I'm not sure the specifics of it, as I've only done it on FCR's. But as JMAN said, if you take too much resistance out, you run the risk of throttle sticking. You can install a 90ex lever in your 400 housing. It's a direct bolt-on, and a little longer for better leverage. Other than that, buy an ice cream scoop that has a thumb release lever. It's the exact same motion. Use it whenever you can, and it will cure all your thumb pump problems.

As for the clutch, a good quality aftermarket perch will greatly reduce the force needed to pull.

shaggy01
01-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Yeah the routing is as straight and as smooth as possible. no kinks or sharp bends.

Funny thing is i actually have an ice cream scooper for that exact reason. Thats a fun one to explain to your buddies when they see it in your truck. Its not like its terribly hard, i just would like it to be less. My girlfriends raptor 350 has one of the easiest clutch and throttle pulls ive felt. I was hoping the new cable would help but i guess ill pull it apart and look at the basket.

DragonGunner
01-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Clutch....I have heavy duty springs in the clutch basket and it pulls easy. You want to buy a adjustable clutch lever. I have a shorty that has 3 setting to put the clutch cable, I put it on the easiest and it pulls like a dream.

Throttle....I took out the spring in the housing as well.....but really, the throttle on the 450R and 400EX is already pretty easy. I injured my thumb one season and bought a extended thumb throttle lever....it attaches to your thumb throttle and it worked great and I was able to keep competing in races the rest of the season. Its great for all day riding trips.....I don't use it anymore....if you go that route and want to buy one let me know, I'll sell mine to ya.