PDA

View Full Version : 08 plastic on an 05.

mpblaster287
01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Will 08 plastic fit on an 05. Are all the mount points and stuff the same?

Baileygunns
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
You will need the 08 heat shield so the front clips on the rear plastic will work. 04/05 are flat tabs and the 06+ use a round tab... You'll have to cut up the shield to fit over the valve cover. You should use an 08 tank to fit the tank cover but you could hack up the cover to fit over the tank you have now.. It just not as nice of a fit. Depending on if the 08 is an R or an ER you will need to insert for the kicker...

The fronts will bolt right up on any year.

Can it be done? Yes... But it's not just a swap, there is some retro fitting that needs to be done.

mpblaster287
01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Ok. Thanks. I was going to order new plastic and noticed that the 08 plastic was cheaper than the 05 stuff. Like almost half price on the fronts

Baileygunns
01-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah, a 2012 stock hood is $75 bucks but a 2006 hood is $27... Same hood. Makes no sense, lol

If you're going to order OEM make sure you order R and not ER rears... That way you get the kicker piece.

I actually have 04/05 plastics on my 06 kicker. I had them sitting around and like them better then the ones on my 06 so I swapped them on. Just had to use the heat shield and cut it to fit over the valve cover.

trompen542
01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
You will need the 08 heat shield so the front clips on the rear plastic will work. 04/05 are flat tabs and the 06+ use a round tab... You'll have to cut up the shield to fit over the valve cover. You should use an 08 tank to fit the tank cover but you could hack up the cover to fit over the tank you have now.. It just not as nice of a fit. Depending on if the 08 is an R or an ER you will need to insert for the kicker...

The fronts will bolt right up on any year.

Can it be done? Yes... But it's not just a swap, there is some retro fitting that needs to be done.
It is not a cheap switch either, the older tank parts don't fit on the tank either, so you have to get them all so it fits.

mpblaster287
01-15-2013, 11:21 AM
I will be running a larger oversize tank for XC. Ill have to make sure I get an 06+ tank. Or I could cut the tabs off the rear fenders like I did with my JB tank support on my mx quad.

Baileygunns
01-15-2013, 12:26 PM
If you're running an oversized tank anyhow you don't need to worry about the tank cover. It's not going to fit no mater what... I would get an 06+ tank so if you ever want to swap an FCR carb on it you won't have clearance issues. The front fenders for all years will bolt up no issues. It's the tank cover that needs the correct tank.

You could use a JB support... Don't you have to drill a hole in the plastics and bolt them to the support? Never used one but I think that's how they work. If you just cut the tabs off your going to want something to hold the fenders tucked in.. I would anyhow.

Baileygunns
01-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Are the holes for the tabs molded into the tank on the oversized ones?

mpblaster287
01-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Yea you have to drill holes for the Jb tank support. There's no mounting on my Clarke tank idk about ims. I used to just zip tie the fronts of my rear fenders. Never had an issue. Ill probably just get the heat shield so the fenders will mount like they are supposed to

Baileygunns
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
You could zip-tie them but that looks kinda hack in my opinion, especially if your buying new plastics... Try the heat shield trick or do the tank support. You can get a used heat shield for about $20 bucks.

mpblaster287
01-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Yea im going to stick with 05 rear fenders so It doesnt look like crap and dont have to cut new fenders.

01boneless
01-15-2013, 07:50 PM
not to hijack but you dont have to use the newer tank cover do you? i mean you could keep the 04-05 tank on there correct?

mpblaster287
01-16-2013, 06:21 AM
You can use any year front plastic on any year. You run into issues when you swap rear plastic. If you have an 04-05 and want to use 06+ rear plastic you also have to change the heat shield that goes under the tank so the front of the plastic can clip in. When you change the heat shield, you also have to update to a newer tank. They are different shapes on the bottom because of the different carbs. So to answer your question, if you use 06 or newer rear plastic on your 04-05. You will have to use and 06+ tank. The 06 and 07 tanks look like the 04 an 05 without a cover. The 08+ tanks are smaller and use a cover.

I am going to stick with 05 rear plastic on my quad so I don't have to switch tanks on my xc quad since i already have an 04-05 oversize tank. However on my mx quad I liked the look of the tank cover so I got an 08 tank and cover and I am going to use the newer rear plastic and heat shield.