PDA

View Full Version : Stator & Flywheel

ansimation
01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
So I just got my flywheel off and after inspecting it, my mechanic buddy says I need a flywheel and new stator. There was some pieces of metal in the cover and the inside of the flywheel is fairly gouged because of it. Would this cause the bike to not start at all? turns over just will not start. Pull start it and it wants to start but no power it just bogs and as soon as soon as you slow down it cuts off. The stator did have quite a bit of metal shavings magnetized to parts of it. You can check out some images of the flywheel and stator here http://imgur.com/a/jDmXc

also on a side note, I started polishing my cover while I have it off. lookin purdy :)

http://i.imgur.com/Qp2Tp.jpg?1

ansimation
01-23-2013, 05:59 AM
well I ordered a used stator and flywheel from ebay, we'll see if that fixes her or not.

JOHNDOE83
01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Basically, those two things in conjunction make the spark work at the right moment "which Im sure your aware of" so basically what has happend is something got hit or came loose and now it has found its way into that side of the case or came from something inside there.

The flywheel has a mark on it that hits the stator at a certain point and creates the spark. Whatever broke, came loose or found its way there got stuck at some point between your flywheel and stator and whatever else is in there.

When that happend it moved, gouged or seperated these working parts enough so that either your timing is WAY off or to far away from each other and isnt making proper contact anymore.

The only option is to buy new parts and see if it fixed the problem, which I see you already did. :blah:

Worst case, it still wont start and you find out that something else is broken inside the motor and then you might find out where that metal came from.

ansimation
01-24-2013, 04:43 PM
The pieces of metal looked like the little bars on the tips of the stator pieces so I'm hoping that was it and not something else that I can't see. No I wasn't aware that it created the spark to be honest I thought it was just just charge the battery, lol. I'm a computer geek not a mechanic but I'm learning :)

jman7290
01-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Sounds like your one way starter clutch is falling apart. Happened to me and my brothers quads! Did it make noises when you tried to start it before it quite running? Another thing that happened to mine is there are some Allen head bolts that holds the starter clutch assembly onto the back of the flywheel. One of those bolts came loose and tore my stator up, so make sure all of those bolts are tight and put some blue lock tite on them.

ansimation
01-24-2013, 06:18 PM
It was doing some weird stuff before it went down completely and I had narrowed that down to the starter clutch since the starter just spun and didn't turn the engine over at all. Then randomly it started engaging and turning over the engine again so I rode it for a little while then you could hear some metal in there rolling around on the flywheel and then it was dead.

I did get a new starter clutch and everything with the new flywheel so that will be getting replaced as well.

Now I just have to clean up a bunch of gaskets so I can put all the covers back on. Took them off to polish everything while it was down and have been slacking on the gasket cleanup. Probably going to skip work tomorrow and work on it so I can get it back together.

ansimation
01-25-2013, 07:35 AM
The metal was definitely from the starter clutch falling apart. I didn't notice until last night but on the new flywheel and starter clutch, the gear comes out easily and spins freely in one direction. On the on old flywheel I thought it was all 1 piece because the bearings for the starter clutch had fallen apart and it was all stuck together. One hit with a hammer and the bearing exploded releasing the gear. The little wire that goes around all of the bearing rollers is pretty much gone and that was the 'staple like' metal pieces that were seen.

Also cleaned up the permatex mess on the cylinder head (guy i bought it from was a cheap ***) and got that cover put back on last night.

ansimation
01-26-2013, 02:09 PM
We're back in action :)