PDA

View Full Version : Debris in oil....XC riders??

blacknblue#2
01-14-2013, 04:36 AM
This question is for anyone but i focused it torward XC riders due to the terrain this quad has been rode in since the problem occured. The last couple times this quad has been rode has been during a winter rain, in sloppy nasty mud and sandy grit trails. The last couple times the oil has been changed there has been debris in it. Not really metal debris but black grit debris. Not a bunch, and its not caked in the filter but its just enough to where if you run your finger through the oil filter housing you can feel a fine grit. Like i said it looks black and its not slithers it has like a sandy texture to it. If it possible to have an open breather tube that could be letting grit get in the oil? Any XC riders ever come across something like this. Usually this quad aint rode in sloppy muddy conditions but with the warm days we have had who wouldnt wanna ride lol

fastredrider44
01-14-2013, 08:29 AM
I would start with checking all your breather hoses to make sure they are all routed properly and not broken/detached. Pressure washers are really good about spraying the mud into places it normally wouldn't go.

blacknblue#2
01-14-2013, 08:52 AM
after a little bit of inspecting i found that the valve cover breather was just a chopped off piece of hose laying on top of the carburetor. Seems easy enough for grit and junk to splash up in through there into the valve cover....I guess on the plus side if the grit did take that route in at least it fell down in the flywheel cover and was pumped directly into the filter first before making it anywhere else

fastredrider44
01-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Seems like all the bikes I work on or buy that have been previously messed with always have funky breather and carb vent hoses. I can't ever seem to understand why people just can't leave them close to factory at least. My next guess was dirt coming through the carb from the air box boot seal or those snorkel things. Dirt can go through the carb and as you know, bye bye rings and valves. :(

slainwarrior
01-14-2013, 02:23 PM
ive found grass and bugs in my oil before