PDA

View Full Version : Laeger ProTrax Front Shocks question

Number22
01-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Just wondering if 19.75 inch shocks would work with a narrow frame, Laeger +2 t pin setup. If anyone knows, just let me know.

Thanks!

chopp124
01-13-2013, 08:32 PM
mine are 19 but i have put spacers in 19 3/4 before to get to 19 and they worked fine.

bigmatt61
01-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Mine are 19.25".

Langbolt
01-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Mine too!

Also, the Narrow frame and the +2....will give a +1 over stock result....You're planning this build for WOODS ??

I'm running +4 on mine...thanks to BigMatt61

:devil:

250Renvy
01-14-2013, 11:20 AM
I've got 19.25" that I tried and they jacked the front up like crazy. I have 18.75" and it sits perfect.

IMO based on the requirements for shock builders to setup, tire size makes a big difference. If you are running 22" vs 19" that would make a big difference.

emullen
01-14-2013, 01:27 PM

chopp124
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM
the length doesnt really effect the ride hight. its for the arm travel. i dad to shorten mine cause i was getting alot of bumpsteer and had an issue where the pins were hitting before the shock was fully extended. if u have ride hight issues remove some of the crossovers in the first spring and sometimes the second. that was a big issue with my houser cause they need to be stiffer on a houser and laeger

dustin_j
01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
250Renvy is right, the shock length for a given chassis is determined by tire size. This way, your frame height bottomed out and fully extended are still correct. If a setup is built for MX travel, and you put 20 and 21" tires on it, then you lifted the ride height 1". If you wanted to lower ride height again, you'd need too much sag. Remember, compressed length also is important to determine if you are getting full travel or if you frame out. I hope this helps.

Here is a good video if you have the quad put together:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFd_qeVrJ8I

Number22
01-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. With all that said, here's my situation:

I'm switching back from a Laeger wide frame +2 setup to a Laeger Narrow frame with the same a-arm setup and same tires/rims. The current shocks I have are 19.25 eye-to-eye. I saw a set of PEP ZPS front shocks here on the site for sale that are 19.75 eye-to-eye. I was wondering if that .5 difference would be noticeable. I don't race or do any jumping, just play riding.

troybilt
01-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Number22
Thanks for the replies. With all that said, here's my situation:

I'm switching back from a Laeger wide frame +2 setup to a Laeger Narrow frame with the same a-arm setup and same tires/rims. The current shocks I have are 19.25 eye-to-eye. I saw a set of PEP ZPS front shocks here on the site for sale that are 19.75 eye-to-eye. I was wondering if that .5 difference would be noticeable. I don't race or do any jumping, just play riding.

I tried 20" Fox Floats on my +4 ProTrax and there was an issue with the tie rods hitting the lower aarms at full droop, if I remember correctly.

troybilt
01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
You can also check if there will be a problem, by installing your wheels and tires and setting the frame on a 13" block to simulate full droop and see if there is any binding or issues before ever buying a set of shocks, also measure the shock length at that position, that is the optimal length of the shock... 13" is what I was told by PEP for full droop for the laeger for MX, I think 12" is XC, and use the flat side of a 2x4 for full compress, (1-3/4") or 2" for XC. You can change your preload height (height with you sitting on the bike) to whatever you want after you get your shocks. You measure that in 2 places after the scrub is settled.

emullen
01-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Also check your lower a arm shock mount. After a lot of discussion with Scott at Leager I found out that the lower a arm shock mount is in a different location on a narrow a arm vs a std frame a arm to keep the geometry correct. The lower a arm for a std frame the mount is 9.5" on the lower vs the narrow frame lower a arm shock mount is at 10.5". This is measured by having the arm on the ground standing upward on the bushing end that mounts to the frame and measuring to the shock mount. You can also easily measure it if it is mounted on your bike. Good luck

Number22
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all the great information guys. You really know your Laeger setups!

Interesting fact on the a-arm shock mounts being different on a a-arms built for a narrow vs a wide frame.

What sort of issue would I run into by using a-arms built for a stock width on a narrow width frame? Would there be anyway of compensating to fix this?

Should I just bite the bullet, keep the protrax spindles and have laeger build me a +3 top and bottom arms along with new tie rods? Keep in mind I don't race or really do any jumping.

chopp124
01-15-2013, 06:33 PM
u cant go longer than 19 1/4 bumpsteer and a arms wount allow. thats why i shortened a set get a 1/2 spacer put in and u will be fine. if u do as part of a service its cheap todo