PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust wrap good or bad?

quadracer21
01-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Hey guys I'm looking to save my leg and plastics from getting burnt up from my dasa exhaust I was thinking about wrapping them but heard mixed reviews on it. Will it crack my exhaust?
Any input would help thanks
Taylor R.

desratt
01-13-2013, 05:32 PM
I don't like it. I would rather let the heat out then trap it in. But just my opinion.

Stickman400
01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I got some DEI Carbon header wrap on my 450 that has a Jardine exhaust on it. It made a huge difference in heat, it still gets really hot if your running it hard but it's deff. good if you ride fast trails or messing around in sand pits or something. I know on the box it said that you should only overlap 1/4" of material when you wrap it, if you overlap more it will create more heat retention and you'll loose power and it can cause the metal to fatigue and break because of the excess heat.

quadracer21
01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
thanks guys for your help i just dont know if its worth wrecking a 600 exhaust or melting my real plastics and my leg i race ice so i was hoping that would help too

CJM
01-13-2013, 07:29 PM
My buddy has some on his R, well worth it. Keeps you from melting stuff.

upnorthridered
01-15-2013, 07:35 PM
i actually was able to take the heat shield off a stock 400ex head pipe and put it on my aftermarket heat pipe. it is actually on upside down compared to the factory 400ex position but it works great i just took and welded some nuts to some hose clamps, wrapped the clamps around the head pipe, and bolted the shield on it works great i havent melted a pair of pants or anything else since. i didnt think the hose clamps would last very long but i have been running it for two yrs

Lquad71
01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
any reason you dont want to use a heat guard? like maybe this one or a similar one?

http://www.drcproducts.com/exhaust/d31-02/index.html