PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Starting HELP!!

LeGaCyGiAnT124
01-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Bought a project 2002 300ex last week and finally got to mess with it this weekend. Did all of the maintenance to make sure to there were no issues. The things I did included:

Cleaned the carb thoroughly to make sure no jets were clogged
Changed the spark plug
Drained the gas and put fresh in it
Made sure there was spark
Made sure gas was flowing through the gas tank

Still no luck starting the bike. I know it needs a starter clutch, because when you try starting with the electric start button, it free spins the motor and rarely ever catches to start the motor. I tried various times to bump start it with no luck. It makes no attempt to even turn over and just locks the rear end up. If anyone else has any suggestions as to what the issue can be, by all means post up. I am eager to get this thing running! Thanks!

-Brandon

sm00th026
01-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by LeGaCyGiAnT124
Bought a project 2002 300ex last week and finally got to mess with it this weekend. Did all of the maintenance to make sure to there were no issues. The things I did included:

Cleaned the carb thoroughly to make sure no jets were clogged
Changed the spark plug
Drained the gas and put fresh in it
Made sure there was spark
Made sure gas was flowing through the gas tank

Still no luck starting the bike. I know it needs a starter clutch, because when you try starting with the electric start button, it free spins the motor and rarely ever catches to start the motor. I tried various times to bump start it with no luck. It makes no attempt to even turn over and just locks the rear end up. If anyone else has any suggestions as to what the issue can be, by all means post up. I am eager to get this thing running! Thanks!

-Brandon

Does the motor turn over when out of gear. Meaning, Taking the side plug out on the stator cover. And turning the flywheel by hand with a ratchet?

LeGaCyGiAnT124
01-14-2013, 10:49 AM
I have been researching a lot about it since this morning on my slow time here at work. I am going to try this first when I get home in a couple of hours. Then I am going to take off the gas tank and plastics again and adjust the valves and make sure they are in spec. As long as the motor turns over by hand and the valves are all good and in time, I am going to get pulled down the road and try bumping the bike in atleast 3rd gear.

I will post back and let you guys know if I find anything out.

Where in the carb does the gas squirt at to see if its working properly?

I guess I could just skip checking that and seeing if the new plug has gotten wet with fuel by just trying to bump start it twice so far.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
01-15-2013, 06:38 AM
The bike is not locked up. I put it on jumper cables to my car and the starter turned over and I didn't need to bump start it. I was trying to bump start it in 1st gear, which I guess wasn't enough to kick it over. It fired up as soon as it turned over.