PDA

View Full Version : Please turn off your quad when you hear horrible noises!

Lquad71
01-12-2013, 11:10 AM
I thought that when you hear incredibly horrible noises coming from your quad your should immediately kill the motor and not keep it pinned. This is a picture from a friend/customer that im rebuilding and if he would have just kill the motor instead of keeping it going he would have probably saved a lot more. This is exactly what I found when I took off the head. I couldnt find the piston! It looks like a ring snapped and the wrist pin just broke the piston into pieces and then it just got worse. I found oil scraper rings down by the oil reed valve!

CJM
01-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Reminds me of a 400ex where a mouse made a nest inside the exhaust. Piston flipped SIDEWAYS and kept going..

rooster300ex
01-12-2013, 04:19 PM
ouch! I never heard a noise when my 300ex pulled the sleeve down into the crankshaft after a fresh rebuild. I took it to the engine builder and said it wasn't anything he did lol. He bored it out and put a new piston hmmmm.

hawaiiysr
01-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Looks like the scrap bin at work!

Stickman400
01-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Wow, it amazes me how people can mess up the inside of an engine so bad. It's like the rod just turned into a trash compactor and smashed everything to pieces.

blacknblue#2
01-13-2013, 06:27 AM
What's the story behind this? That thing looks aweful like a faulty piston that just exploded. What kinda rpm was he running when it went

Lquad71
01-13-2013, 11:26 AM
quad has been smoking and i told him its gunna blow soon but he wanted to race a 6 hour race anyways. I couldnt tell you how many hours the piston has on it. but he didnt want to put in a new piston then beat it up at a 6 hour gp. well he got about half way through it. im not sure what rpm or how fast but im pretty sure he just kept it pinned. he said it just made a lot of really bad noise then stopped. so i know he didnt pull the plug. im assuming a ring probably broke and he kept trying to go until it wouldnt anymore.