PDA

View Full Version : Want some opinions

wfo4rv
01-11-2013, 08:55 PM
So as I get more and more into desert riding and racing it is time I buy a desert specific quad. Now, obviously buying a built quad is much cheaper than building your own, but I bought an 08 MX bike and the motor already has its signs of aging. So, the quad I'm looking at is an o8 that has done Vegas to Reno, preran the baja 1000, and competed in a dozen or so other desert events. Total the quad has probably 4k plus miles. So enough with the jibber jabber, should I buy a built quad for 8k or spend 5 grand more to build a fresh quad. Thanks for any opinions.

Zakradu398
01-11-2013, 09:45 PM
http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158784 :D

CJM
01-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Buying something your going to have to RnR is tough. if it was well cared for its worth it, as the mods are already done and you dont have to buy things like arms, swingers, etc. However motor has time on it, which means rebuilt in the very least.

Me, Id chance it if I found the right one.

wfo4rv
01-12-2013, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Buying something your going to have to RnR is tough. if it was well cared for its worth it, as the mods are already done and you dont have to buy things like arms, swingers, etc. However motor has time on it, which means rebuilt in the very least.

Me, Id chance it if I found the right one.

I found a nice one that was just recently torn apart and motor rebuilt. Plus the guy is willing to go to the desert with me and let me test it..

440racer66
01-13-2013, 01:59 PM
i always go the built and used route. but no matter what they tell me about the motor i always factor in that i dont know if there telling the truth about the hours and abuse so i wont fly anything until i have it rebuilt by someone i trust. desert may be a little bit diff considering your not huckin it off jumps it probably would fine.

blaster12s
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
from my experience its till cheaper to blow a motor, replace all the bearings and ball joints etc and revalve the shocks then it is buying new and building.

wfo4rv
01-23-2013, 05:41 PM
anyone else