PDA

View Full Version : Parts availability question

mad4106
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Hey guys i need help I know this is a 400ex forum and I do have a 440ex but it's about a 250r Im about to buy one but Im hesitate now cause I need to know if parts are available like the new bikes and is it hard to get own parts for it? It's a 1989 model

CJM
01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
parts can still be found bit its indeed harder. Gotta buy used sometimes as well.

Longdong
01-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Tranmission parts I think are
Getting tough to find.

hondaREX
01-11-2013, 08:34 AM
There are very few NOS parts available. There are tons of new and used aftermarket and used OEM but its a game to get good ones. I pieced together a couple over the years, from frame up off ebay and craigslist. If this is a project that your ok with it taking up space and waiting for the parts that are in good shape and right price, its actually fun. I played the ebay game for years and got plenty of good parts. I was addicted to the "fight to the last minute". Theres also lots of mods and parts interchanges that make a 250r a little more budget friendly. And race companies still make some of there 250R parts. I have those 2 R's right now that im waiting for the day my kids are off to college and i can build them again, 18 years!!!

But they are awesome bikes. Word of advice, what ever frame you get, get it gussetted, plated, and filled with titanium....no not all that, but i broke an 86 frame everywhere it could, everytime i went out, the last couple years i rode it. So gussett it and paint it before you decide to PC it so you can find out what it can hold up to before you spend money on PC that is a BEAR to remove when you need to repair it. I only ride trails and occasional pits and barely a jump here and there. And thats what broke mine. Broke my ATC250R frame too. Also, cracked a stock 250r swinger a couple times.

So if an R project is what you want, go for it. Your the one that was asking about buying that R with the motor not in the frame, talk him down, and then start from the frame. I cant view your pic at my work so ill post when i get to check it out. Put the motor together but be sure to do a leakdown test before install. Good luck.