PDA

View Full Version : Rims and Tires

BIGTEX400EX
01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
I am finally going to buy rims and tires for my 2008 400ex. I know I want Razr 2 fronts, but I am torn between Razr or Razr 2 rears. I think my riding style tends to lean more to sliding, so I am thinking Razr rears?

Also, I was going to buy G Force wheels but RMT is out of the size I need. ITP? Douglas? Not sure what to go with now. Where can I find good prices on mounted Rarz tire and rim combos. What rims do you guys recommend? I am a fast trail rider with some limited track time thrown in for fun.

426kidz
01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
my bikes possibly getting parted out...tires and rims also. fyi check out my postings

DragonGunner
01-10-2013, 05:33 PM
You want the 4 ply razr rears....I have them for several yrs now and they are a great tire....I also have the 6 ply razr 2 and they are a great tire but they will rob your power like you can't believe, and they don't slide good unless you trim the side knobs.

CJM
01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
I wouldnt run the 4 ply if you ride in rocky type conditions.

on the rocks
01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
i had razrs first and loved them, ran them bald and the still surprised me. i do ride a lot of rock and technical stuff like creek beds and the tires never had any problems with being 4 ply.

i currently have razr 2's. i like them alot. traction like no other. and to comment on the statement that they rob you of power, no they do not. you get more traction and in result you cant spin the tires as easily, all the power is still there it is now just moving the bike instead of losing traction.

during lock up you can still get the razr 2's tp slide pretty well.

Zakradu398
01-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Might look into GBC Xrexs for the rear. They like $50-55 bucks at Sams Club (if you have those near you). I also got ITP Baja rims and love them. Ive crushed rocks that would have easily bent most other rims.

DragonGunner
01-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by on the rocks
i had razrs first and loved them, ran them bald and the still surprised me. i do ride a lot of rock and technical stuff like creek beds and the tires never had any problems with being 4 ply.

i currently have razr 2's. i like them alot. traction like no other. and to comment on the statement that they rob you of power, no they do not. you get more traction and in result you cant spin the tires as easily, all the power is still there it is now just moving the bike instead of losing traction.

during lock up you can still get the razr 2's tp slide pretty well.

I repeat, they rob you of HP, traction has nothing to do with it. They are a HEAVY tire. Had them on and dragged a 450R, all the way out to top end...it just flat out smoked me right off the line.....next week I had the 4 ply razrs on and it was very different, got beat but not nearly as bad, the following week put the 18" razrs on that only weigh like 11 lbs each compared to the Razr 2 25lbs. each.....an it was even a closer race and we were even from the start up to 4th gear.

Rocky Mt. atv is going to be the best place price wise for tires and rims...ITP or Douglas are both good rims.....stock rims are the best IMHO unless you go with beadlocks.

BIGTEX400EX
01-11-2013, 06:21 AM
I am looking for black wheels, have any of you powder coated your stock rims? I am wondering how they hold up to rocks/debree and a pressure washer.

Zakr:
GBC at sams? Do i need to special order or will they have them there? I am in the Dallas, TX area if that matters.

426KIDZ:
What do you have for rims and tires for sale?

beastlywarrior
01-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
I repeat, they rob you of HP, traction has nothing to do with it. They are a HEAVY tire. Had them on and dragged a 450R, all the way out to top end...it just flat out smoked me right off the line.....next week I had the 4 ply razrs on and it was very different, got beat but not nearly as bad, the following week put the 18" razrs on that only weigh like 11 lbs each compared to the Razr 2 25lbs. each.....an it was even a closer race and we were even from the start up to 4th gear.

Rocky Mt. atv is going to be the best place price wise for tires and rims...ITP or Douglas are both good rims.....stock rims are the best IMHO unless you go with beadlocks.
yep this is correct its called moment of rotational inertia

Stickman400
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I powdercoated my stock rims black and then had the PC'r put clear coat over them and they looked and performed great. I've taken them on and off dozens of times and the PC is still holding around the lugs too. I'd deff. recommend doing that if you want black rims but don't really have the $ to buy aftermarket right now.

Zakradu398
01-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by BIGTEX400EX
I am looking for black wheels, have any of you powder coated your stock rims? I am wondering how they hold up to rocks/debree and a pressure washer.

Zakr:
GBC at sams? Do i need to special order or will they have them there? I am in the Dallas, TX area if that matters.

426KIDZ:
What do you have for rims and tires for sale?

I haven't bought them there personally. I thought it might have been CJM that said they got em.

CJM
01-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Not here by me. I never checked in store, but online they do carry them in limited sizes it would seem.