PDA

View Full Version : Base gaskets and spacers

techy
01-10-2013, 12:27 PM
I am trying to get the right combination of gaskets and spacers to achieve the .030 squish on an Apex 90. I got a base gasket and spacer kit (included with the quad we bought used) and there are many spacers of various thicknesses. Some are very thin like foil. When using the thin foil spacers is it necessary to use a paper gasket on both sides? If I use a paper gasket on both sides it will affect the stack height. I am hoping the thin foil gaskets will seal without the paper gasket. Or can I use copper gasket spray? Or is there some other sealant folks are using successfully with the spacers?

I appreciate the help!

fomospede
01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
i dont know if its the right way
but i put a super thin coat of silicone
so thin i can see thru it between steel shims

edwardsp&b
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
I like using anerobic sealer, it only seals when air is removed from it. Some also use yamabond or hondabond. It is pretty much anerobic sealer though. I usually just spread a thin coat on both sides of each metal gasket. Check your gaskets together with a micrometer first to acheive the squish you want. I know what thickness my gaskets are, but if not just measure what you took off.
Bryan

techy
01-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks! Do you just metal gaskets and the sealant without any paper gaskets?

edwardsp&b
01-11-2013, 05:46 AM
All of my motors are built that way, yes. Some use paper gaskets, I just like the metal better.
Bryan

techy
01-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Ok thanks for the help! I have the squish right at .030 inch at the cylinder wall. I hope that is correct.

mmsoup
01-11-2013, 11:54 AM
sounds to me like you have a malossi or 2fast based on the metal gasket comment.
you can safely range squish between 28 and 32 thousandths with little variance

We have run the Malossi Big bore at 25 thousandths on a CGR ported and tuned cylinder for a GNCC with no problems.

we have one motor that sets up with no base gasket at 31 thousandths (yamabond only)

we have one motor that requires a spacer and a total of 55 thousandths to get squish right and we have a motor that sets up with around a 10 thousandths base gasket. all malossi big bores lol

we have always used either hondabond or yamabond. make sure you buy #4 in either it is semidrying. paint it on with a craft paint brush lightly to both sides off the mating surfaces. To be safe we paint the gaskets

paper gaskets just make extra mess................

bloodswet&gears
01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
I also use anaerobic sealer on the metal gaskets. Permatex 51813.
No problems, no leaks.