PDA

View Full Version : badass project

josh
03-13-2003, 05:19 PM
alright guys, my friend is a little wacko and 16 and he wants to build one hell of a dune ride, we are looking to copy a sandrail style frame but smaller, inbetween a go-cart and small rail, he wants to keep this cost effective so any ideas are appreciated, we don't have a motor for this project yet but he is looking into crotch rocket engines and/or large motorcycle motors or whatever would slam you back in your seat in a large gocart/small rail, we can design and build a frame and look for suspension parts but what we do need help with is were to find a powerplant for this future beast!

he is going to do this and build the frame for a grade in welding class and i'm the guy that can help him research susp parts and motors and whatever we need for a project like this, we are open to car motors but we need to be able to hook it up as a rear engine rear wheel drive like a rail, so i fig the best idea is a chain driven because that's easiest to tune and adjust and deal with, i have a nice mig welder at home and he has other types of welders in class to use so all we really need help with is a design for suspension and how to hook up the powerplant etc. please post any comments that might help us research for parts etc or design ideas, thanks a lot guys,

josh

NTPRacing#19
03-13-2003, 05:23 PM
a 1200cc street bike motor would haul *** or a chevy 350 would be better :devil

CHAUNCY
03-13-2003, 05:24 PM
Like sandbullet cars ???
1 or 2 seater ???
There is streetbike powered mini rails if that is what you are going to build. I might be able to post a link to some pics if you want.

CHAUNCY
03-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
a 1200cc street bike motor would haul *** or a chevy 350 would be better :devil

They put 1300cc busa engines in mini rails.

Glow Plug
03-13-2003, 05:26 PM
1000cc + street bike engine, vw 1600cc engine also are pretty popular in some buggies, or a 350:D, how wide is it going to be ?

josh
03-13-2003, 05:48 PM
alright guys, to clear a few things up we can't afford to hook up any small block 350 etc. the main prob with that is it's close to 15 g's to hook up any type of rwd tranny to do it, yes i am talking about a small rail, sorta like sandbullet rails but aaaaa looot less expensive, a do it yourself redneck engineering, we are callin junkyards for motors and stuff, or we are lookin for junked sand rails to modify like sheezy

josh
03-15-2003, 12:31 PM
bump, common, i know some people gotta have some cool ideas, any smaller motors like motorcycle or even a vw motor, cuz those are easy to build up and work with rails, i was thinkin we could do like a 3 wheeler to save weight and tire money etc. because a 3 wheel rail would be super easy to pull wheelies with and my friend wants something insane like that, who knows, maybe we could even use quad parts for some things but i know u guys got pictures and ideas of small rail/big go-cart things.

what would really help is if i could get any referals as to were we could find motors and used parts

WildCatRacer
03-15-2003, 12:38 PM
you could probly find a snowmobile motor for cheap that has plenty of power. it would also be easier to build.

@Bad465EX
03-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Flipper
you could probly find a snowmobile motor for cheap that has plenty of power. it would also be easier to build.

I Agree

GOMER007
03-15-2003, 02:14 PM
I have herd of blown air craf engines in sum buggys

03-15-2003, 02:38 PM
find a sled with a engine ud think would be fast enough, find a quad sport 2 30, take the rear end and front end and steering stem off, find something for the body or fabricate one, run a belt fromt he clutch to the other thing lol just like a snowmobile from that run a chain from sprocket to sprocket, get a buck seat outta a car and waaaaaaalaaaaaaa

dj416
03-15-2003, 02:40 PM
i would go with a 1600cc dual port vw and a vw bus tranny. in a small rail thats enough for u to ride wheelies all day long

03-15-2003, 02:47 PM
throw a ski doo mach z engine into what i said and do it right i bet it would fly:eek: we had something like what i said, it woulda been so nice if the people did it right

josh
03-19-2003, 09:54 AM
all those ideas are great ideas, but i think the most cost effective way would be to throw in any of the larger vw motors with a bus tranny, because cost is a really big issue when your only 15 and 16, and i think we could come up with out own frame and i can get racing bucket seats for 79 a piece from lopers, and a vw would be the best thing because the part availability is good because we have a lot of sand limmo, and rail shops/sand sports places down here, considering the sand mecca of the world is only 3 hours away, so if we built up a vw and it was enough to ride wheelies that would be absolutely perfect, and easy to maintain, we don't wanna really have to be mixing gas for a snowmobile, that's a hassle, and 2 strokes aren't reliable enough for a rail, well most 2 strokes, and i like the idea of the bus tranny because that's what everyone uses and it is a tight geared manual, so maybe guys, just maybe, if we decide to go through with the project i'll post plenty of pictures of the building process and of the engineering ideas, but the hardest part i think will be hooking up rear suspension so the power is smoothly delivered to the ground, what would be the best bet, dogbone axles???? and what would we use for front suspension, we would prob hook up dual soft truck shocks because those are very available and he will definately want to be jumping the rail