PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch

louie401
01-09-2013, 01:26 PM
I put my kill switch on last night on my 400ex do i still need a key because I put it in gear and the lights were off any suggestion

louie401
01-09-2013, 01:37 PM
And the battery died

01-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Is this an aftermarket tethered kill switch for racing? If it is how did you wire it? When I did mine I still needed the key. I hooked 1 of the wires into the factory kill switch wiring and the other to a good ground on the frame.

louie401
01-09-2013, 05:52 PM
its a tusk i hooked the short wire to the black and white wire and the long one to the frame

01-10-2013, 08:34 PM
What black and white wire did you hook it to? the wire you want to use comes from the factory kill switch on the headlight switch, I'm sorry I don't know the color my quad is at my shop in a million pieces getting ready for next race season. All the kill switch is supposed to do is ground out voltage to the ignition system to shut the machine off when pulled. It shouldn't affect anything else on the quad.

Zakradu398
01-10-2013, 08:37 PM
I had bad luck with my tusk tether.. About a month and it quit working on me..

Stickman400
01-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Well after looking at a schematic I'd say that you tapped into the key side of that black/white wire if it's draining the battery. I'm no wiring guru though so somebody else can try and guess, or maybe you can see what happened.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/attachment.jpg

dxcody
01-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Ok.. You hooked up your kill switch to the black and white wire on the ignition?

That is fine. That is the way a lot of people do it.

Some tap that kill switch wire into the Black/Yellow wire that comes out of the ignition coil.

That also works well. (That is how I did mine, but it is much easier to do it with the black/white wire in the ignition, as the black/yellow wire is kinda short and a tight fit to get to.)

However, when you hook it up to the black/yellow wire, you are just killing the spark. The lights will stay on, and everything will still turn over and work, it just wont spark.

When you hook it to the black/white wire, you are shutting the quad completely off, over-riding the key switch.

When you pull your tether out, it is just like turning your key off.

It should not have made your battery go dead in any way, except if you pulled your tether out while the quad had it's lights on, saw they shut off, plugged it back in, and forgot to shut your lights off.

A kill switch can't drain your battery. It is impossible, because all if does it breaks a connection, and grounds it out.

Your lights on something was left on, (Maybe the neutral or oil/reverse lights on the dash were left on?)

louie401
01-11-2013, 05:40 AM
Ill have to check if my battery was low before, but I hooked the short wire to the black and white. Then I grounded the long wire and pulled out the tether. And put it in gear and turned off the lights. But I've had issues with my battery before this so i might just need to buy a new one. Ill check it when I get home an let you guys know