PDA

View Full Version : deactivating facebook for a week

rollie
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Anyone ever try this? just curious.

My grandmother has been real sick and ive been with her and noticed that i literally spend half my life on facebook, im in a local diesel group on there and get alot of info, and have alot of long distance friends from racing, but rather than make excuses i wanted to see if i really need it, or if its just a waste of time.

I understand it's kind of stupid but its my own little experiment, and since i dont have facebook, i couldnt make a status about it:p :p :p

Ruby Soho
01-08-2013, 08:45 PM
facebook is dumb, but im not going to lie it keeps me plenty occupied while sitting in lines or waiting for anything in general.. haha

Kickstarts-suck
01-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Im about done with it too.

Nothing but drama and BS and people causing problems between others relationships..

:rolleyes:

dxcody
01-08-2013, 11:53 PM
If it wasn't for the Page I run on there, I would have deleted it a long time ago.

It also keeps me in the loop of the racing world.

Like Walker Fowler.. I would have never known he was off Ballance Yamaha.

His new ride is SICK by the way..

zyoung04
01-09-2013, 02:50 AM
Call me old school I guess but im only 27. But I kinda went thru a spell where I was anti-facebook and honestly it helped. Not that I lived on there before but it was mainly girl I was kinda seeing was trying to make it a point to try and make me mad so I thought ill just act I dont care and just stay off of it for awhile. I stayed off of it for about 8 months, I finally broke down and started using again for a lil while then here recently I thru another fad where I stayed off for about 4 months. I didn't deactivate it just stayed off of it. Im not all into the drama chit anyway my close friends I mostly talk to anyway so it doesn't bother me to stay off of it. I got one buddy that checks it about every 10mins for god knows what reason I give him crap over a lot. I just think when it comes to relationships and stuff if cell phones, myspace and facebook didn't exist couples wouldn't have near as much to worry about.

sand_blaster
01-09-2013, 03:59 AM
Never got one, never had the desire to get one. Woman is on the freaking thing every 5 mins, probably looking at guys pages haha.

blacknblue#2
01-09-2013, 04:50 AM
I mainly use mine for riding purposes. I got all the local tracks as friends so i know when their having practices or races with facebook. I dont make statuses about anything but i do stalk lol. I deactivated mine once for about 5 hours just to see if anyone would notice. A good friend of mine dont have one and he uses mine to look at women hahaha. Well about 2am i got am email "welcome back to facebook" I said WTF i didnt reactivate, oh wait, Dammit Shroom!!!

AtvKid4Eva
01-09-2013, 05:11 AM
yes, you can deactivate it for a week and then just reactivate if you feel you need it. I tried this once and everytime i pulled out my iPhone i would crave facebook. Its like an addiction. Good luck.

quad2xtreme
01-09-2013, 06:00 AM
I deactivated mine because I was checking it 30-50 times a day and getting very little value. I also found myself responding and getting into too many debates...which I've done on here too.

My family wants me to rejoin to stay in touch and delete any and all friends. I've been thinking about it but that's as far as it has gotten. In some ways, I'd like to be out of the loop in life...a lot less drama this way. Ignorance can be bliss for sure.

chucked
01-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Ive hidden 95% of my friends. But I follow many pages that are comedic or places that I buy stuff from or whatever.

CJM
01-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Never had one, dont want one, dont care if I dont have it either.

Yea it kinda means Im outta the loop, but eventually something new will come anyways and replace it.

fastredrider44
01-09-2013, 08:02 AM
I deactivated mine for about 2 years one time. I had a girlfriend, and it caused trouble. Then the girlfriend and I split and I rejoined to do my recon on new girls. Some of you will know what I mean. :o I still have it and check it about once a day. I don't use fb on my phone so that makes it easy to steer clear. My current girlfriend sometimes gets aggrevated because I don't post any new pictures, post on her wall, and my profile is of me on a fourwheeler and not of me and her. Oh well. She gets on enough for the both of us, and keeps me in the loop on anything important with our friends, such as babies and people getting married.

ben300
01-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I deactivated mine for about 2 years one time. I had a girlfriend, and it caused trouble. Then the girlfriend and I split and I rejoined to do my recon on new girls. Some of you will know what I mean. :o I still have it and check it about once a day. I don't use fb on my phone so that makes it easy to steer clear. My current girlfriend sometimes gets aggrevated because I don't post any new pictures, post on her wall, and my profile is of me on a fourwheeler and not of me and her. Oh well. She gets on enough for the both of us, and keeps me in the loop on anything important with our friends, such as babies and people getting married.

people and their babbies and posting pictures of said babbies is more than enough reason to delete facebook!!

HondaRacing83
01-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Im on facebook 24/7

fastredrider44
01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by ben300
people and their babbies and posting pictures of said babbies is more than enough reason to delete facebook!!

I know what you mean. Sharing the news of a baby is great, posting an average of 8 pictures of your kid an hour is a bit much. I don't know if it's like this outside of my town, but it seems to be the thing to do around here is to get married at 18 and have a baby within a year! I didn't drink that Kool-Aid. Im about to be 25 and have not popped the question yet, (although that day is closing in) and don't plan to have any kids until I can afford the time and money they take without added stress.

CJM
01-09-2013, 03:25 PM
All of my friends are either married or have kids and complain they are broke. Im 27 and most of them have been married for 2-5 years by now. I didnt drink the kool-aide.

As for FB: My cousins wife is the nicest person ever, but she posts every bleeping minute on FB about stupid crap all day long.

Why do people need to know wtf your doing every waking moment of the day?

gncc025
01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Had it, not my cup of tea. 99% of it is garbage IMO. I could care less if someone I've met like twice (at the max) is on their way to the dollar general store or wherever. I talk plenty to the important people in my life either on the phone or in person.

Like some said earlier the only reason I would keep it is to keep up with our sport, and that isn't worth it to me. I got plenty to read here.

rollie
01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
2 days in wayy easier than expected i find myself doing much more meaningful things haha

BlaineKaiser450
01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm 18 years old and still in high school so I'm in the demographic that most associate with being enthralled with facebook, but mine is long gone now. I had it since I was a freshman and I deleted it at the start of this year, which is my senior year. I just see zero point to it, if you really think about it, what is gained from facebook? Nothing. The only thing I liked about it was I followed a few Nobama pages so I could see all the stuff that the left was trying to keep hidden from the media. Other than that, I don't miss it at all, I've got better things to do.

blacknblue#2
01-10-2013, 04:51 AM
I know what you mean. Sharing the news of a baby is great, posting an average of 8 pictures of your kid an hour is a bit much. I don't know if it's like this outside of my town, but it seems to be the thing to do around here is to get married at 18 and have a baby within a year! I didn't drink that Kool-Aid. Im about to be 25 and have not popped the question yet, (although that day is closing in) and don't plan to have any kids until I can afford the time and money they take without added stress.

I have to agree on hte picture thing. One of my old good friends wife is bad about this. The woman is sweet as can be but if you put her pictures in a stack and shuffled through them real fast you could watch an animation of that kid walking across the room

ben300
01-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Im on facebook 24/7

i would have expected this from you.

do you have a twitter account as well?

ben300
01-10-2013, 06:30 AM

i think its like this most anywhere rural or outside of the big cities. there are all sorts of girls, and dudes, that i graduated with or graduated after me from my HS and local schools that are all married and have had kids (some are even working on baby number 2!!!!). i just think its a small town mentality thing. some people look at it as theres not much options. they go to school after school or dont, or drop out, and hten marry some local broad or dbag, and have kids. i dont understand it. i never will.

Im 25, going on 26, and i too see the "day" coming in the next year, when i pop the question to my gf. However, baring any unexpected happenings lol, i dont see any kids in mine or her future for at least the next 2-2.5 years.............knock on wood lol!

ben300
01-10-2013, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
I'm 18 years old and still in high school so I'm in the demographic that most associate with being enthralled with facebook, but mine is long gone now. I had it since I was a freshman and I deleted it at the start of this year, which is my senior year. I just see zero point to it, if you really think about it, what is gained from facebook? Nothing. The only thing I liked about it was I followed a few Nobama pages so I could see all the stuff that the left was trying to keep hidden from the media. Other than that, I don't miss it at all, I've got better things to do.

i like it for the fact that a few local microbreweries that i frequent and a few local bands that i like will post on their pages what their upcoming schedule/lineup/what they have on tap/tour dates are.

other than that, im just a dbag to people on it. as big as a dbag as i am on here, im worse on it. the only difference is, most people on here know im mostly joking and take most of my stuff with a grain of salt. pretty much anyone and everyone on there gets mad bent out of shape over stuff....

zyoung04
01-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
I have to agree on hte picture thing. One of my old good friends wife is bad about this. The woman is sweet as can be but if you put her pictures in a stack and shuffled through them real fast you could watch an animation of that kid walking across the room

he didnt mention that they live in the middle of no where and still have dial up internet lol so their phone line is always tied up from the 14 pics she loads up at a time and it takes a minimum of 2hrs to complete all this by the end of the 2hrs ur tired of calling

MX MaNiAc 06
01-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Im on facebook 24/7

I know you are. I was friends with you for awhile until you uploaded a video of yourself eating cereal. Then I couldn't take it anymore and we are no longer friends. Lol

ben300
01-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
I know you are. I was friends with you for awhile until you uploaded a video of yourself eating cereal. Then I couldn't take it anymore and we are no longer friends. Lol

i still to this day, honestly believe that he needs banned permanently from this website for that video.

MX MaNiAc 06
01-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Hahahahahaha it was so bad!!!

Zakradu398
01-10-2013, 11:17 AM
I use my facebook pretty much only for caraudio classifieds/ca groups

Ruby Soho
01-10-2013, 09:20 PM
i think its like this most anywhere rural or outside of the big cities. there are all sorts of girls, and dudes, that i graduated with or graduated after me from my HS and local schools that are all married and have had kids (some are even working on baby number 2!!!!). i just think its a small town mentality thing. some people look at it as theres not much options. they go to school after school or dont, or drop out, and hten marry some local broad or dbag, and have kids. i dont understand it. i never will.

Im 25, going on 26, and i too see the "day" coming in the next year, when i pop the question to my gf. However, baring any unexpected happenings lol, i dont see any kids in mine or her future for at least the next 2-2.5 years.............knock on wood lol!

almost the opposite here.. i know some people near my age with kids, but only a few. none of my buddies or kids i went to school with (maybe a few i cant even think of) have gotten married yet.

most of my friends dont want to grow up, some of them really need to though haha

HondaRacing83
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Hell yes I have twitter, and instagram! Cereal eatin video was pretty good

OldGuyonaQuad
01-11-2013, 04:00 PM

Best six threads on the forum!

There are a couple of rival sites that younger peeps are switching over to because the minute it becomes popular with the older generation it's no longer cool.

Facebook survival tips:
1. Avoid the drama
2. Post pics
3. Stalk you children

I think FB is a great tool when used correctly and like everything in life, with MODERATION.
(moderation is the key to success)
I know it gets old quickly seeing baby pictures everyday but for friends and relatives that are displaced it keeps them very involved.

I have three simple FB rules I follow:

1. I share and like what I actually like and I refuse to share or like anything that asks this of me in the post while questioning my friendship, morality and or patriotism even though it might tug at the heart strings.

2. NO PLUG INS PERIOD (F U NO U CAN"T INSTALL THAT) I don't care who answered
what about me & no I don't want to play any games or tend to a farm!

3. Delete anyone that ever puts out the vague innuendo status complaining about some unnamed offender so half their friends have to wonder who they are *****ing about (un friend de friend w/e c ya).

I check mine when I get done dinner at night (right before checking in here) and on my phone if I am sitting around waiting on someone or something.

ben300
01-12-2013, 06:45 AM

What's your Instagram handle? I got check this out!

HondaRacing83
01-12-2013, 07:35 AM
What's your Instagram handle? I got check this out! @asstastic789, i dont get on there tooo much

slightlybent47
01-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Fb has gotten ridiculous with all the like in 5 seconds or you don’t believe in god. Or like this if you have a heart. Or if you don’t like this picture you don’t have a heart. And so on.
Then if you see a post and want to and give a comment on a picture, all of the sudden people get offended and start to argue. Or they perceive a friendly comment as hostile.
People post fake pictures and get offended when they are told they are fakes.
Even on this site if you have a deferent opinion on a subject and post it, then you are immediately slammed and called all kind of things or made fun of.
I signed up on a site and have been band many times, just because I don’t agree with a poster comment.
Everyone seems to think that if you don’t like there post, then they must slam you with stupid responses like your opinion is the stupidest thing they ever heard.
Or if you ask a question, all you get is smart *** responses and get no help with your question.
I’m getting sick of all the useless crap and drama on social media.

ben300
01-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Fb has gotten ridiculous with all the like in 5 seconds or you don’t believe in god. Or like this if you have a heart. Or if you don’t like this picture you don’t have a heart. And so on.
Then if you see a post and want to and give a comment on a picture, all of the sudden people get offended and start to argue. Or they perceive a friendly comment as hostile.
People post fake pictures and get offended when they are told they are fakes.
Even on this site if you have a deferent opinion on a subject and post it, then you are immediately slammed and called all kind of things or made fun of.
I signed up on a site and have been band many times, just because I don’t agree with a poster comment.
Everyone seems to think that if you don’t like there post, then they must slam you with stupid responses like your opinion is the stupidest thing they ever heard.
Or if you ask a question, all you get is smart *** responses and get no help with your question.
I’m getting sick of all the useless crap and drama on social media.

i agree with all of this! this is just how our society a a whole is going these days!

they keep on talking on many news outlets that i have seen that there is a survey that recently just came out, that like 80% of people or youth today believe they are smarter than the average person, when i guess statistically this isnt true.

i wouldnt really say this about myself. i know im smart, however i know that there are people who are way smarter in many many things than me. id say im just an average dude. a mediocre engineer, an expert level skier, and im a terrible ****ing atv racer. TERRIBLE lol

slightlybent47
01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
I was going to add that most of the younger people seem to be the worst at being offended or will argue a point to death, even though they are wrong. They don’t seem to have the ability to take constructive criticism. Then they start diverting the conversation in an effort to change the subject and get mad when it’s just a friendly conversation and not an argument.
Just because ides go back and forth does not make and argument.
I’ve all but stopped trying to give out information, because no one wants to hear it.
They will ask for advice and if it goes against what they want to hear, they get mad.
I really think these kids like to hide behind the net and say things they would never say to your face.
Its really sad.

I guess most or all youngsters think they know it all. If that were true they wouldn’t still be living at home with momma and daddy.
I think with age you begin to look at life and things differently.

grim one
01-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Looks like FB here with all these posts. You all get it one way or another. Forums > Fb

HondaRacing83
01-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I guess most or all youngsters think they know it all. I DO KNOW ALL YOU KNOW NOTHING. OLD FART

slightlybent47
01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
I DO KNOW ALL YOU KNOW NOTHING. OLD FART

Why are you yelling? Are you upset? Thanks for making my point.

slightlybent47
01-12-2013, 11:50 PM

Speaking of old farts, you should get a wif of one of mine after i've been holding it for awhile. lol

slightlybent47
01-12-2013, 11:52 PM

I must say you do seem to give out a lot of good info, most of the time. And you do try to discurage some of the crap that goes on out here. I give you props for that.

ben300
01-13-2013, 08:31 AM
I must say you do seem to give out a lot of good info, most of the time. And you do try to discurage some of the crap that goes on out here. I give you props for that.

I will agree with this, but he doesn't take constructive criticism very well at times

HondaRacing83
01-13-2013, 08:45 AM
you shouldve known me in like 08 on here. SmitTank789 coolest 11 year old up in this b

ben300
01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
you shouldve known me in like 08 on here. SmitTank789 coolest 11 year old up in this b

1) ive been here since before smittank was here....you were seriously dumb and obnoxious

2) you can still be obnoxious, but your a lot better than you used to...you still dont take constructive criticism well

3) your white....dont use Ebonics lingo

HondaRacing83
01-13-2013, 05:10 PM
1) ive been here since before smittank was here....you were seriously dumb and obnoxious

2) you can still be obnoxious, but your a lot better than you used to...you still dont take constructive criticism well

3) your white....dont use Ebonics lingo it was obviously a joke

slightlybent47
01-13-2013, 05:35 PM
it was obviously a joke

And i did say,"Most of the time"lol

fastredrider44
01-14-2013, 08:43 AM
I laugh when I see these kinds of posts on fb.

Jane: WORST DAY OF MY LIFE. FML!

Jill: Oh, hang in there pretty girl, it will be ok.

Jane: Oh thanks! I haven't seen you in forever. We should do lunch sometime.

Jill: Its a date girl. Just text me and we will go.

Jane: I sure will. I love you.

Jill: I love you too.

So, Jane goes from mad to happy in about 2.5 minutes... Any of you guys that have a bunch of girls on there know what I'm talking about. It's like the comments don't match what's really going on. I don't like seeing all the people *****ing on there either. Especially the ones that are "broke" and get a check every month and have an iPhone 6G4Si super fast edition. I don't like seeing all the chain mail type crap, or the useless friend request from non-English speaking people and all the game requests.

After saying all that, I think I just made my case for why I only get on once a day, if even.

Zakradu398
01-14-2013, 08:50 AM
iPhone 6G4Si super fast edition.

LMAO :devil:

ben300
01-14-2013, 10:51 AM
I laugh when I see these kinds of posts on fb.

Jane: WORST DAY OF MY LIFE. FML!

Jill: Oh, hang in there pretty girl, it will be ok.

Jane: Oh thanks! I haven't seen you in forever. We should do lunch sometime.

Jill: Its a date girl. Just text me and we will go.

Jane: I sure will. I love you.

Jill: I love you too.

So, Jane goes from mad to happy in about 2.5 minutes... Any of you guys that have a bunch of girls on there know what I'm talking about. It's like the comments don't match what's really going on. I don't like seeing all the people *****ing on there either. Especially the ones that are "broke" and get a check every month and have an iPhone 6G4Si super fast edition. I don't like seeing all the chain mail type crap, or the useless friend request from non-English speaking people and all the game requests.

After saying all that, I think I just made my case for why I only get on once a day, if even.

FB turned into myspace, just without the bands...

ben300
01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
the ones the hate teh most are the posts of like

"dear wal-mart,

id like to tell you what i saw at your store in cumbag, cumbaggia. i was in line at teh check out and there was this dirt poor schmuck with all this food, yada yada yada, this person coulnt pay for it. nice dude behind him whips out a billion dollars ind pays for it all....yada yada yada.

sincerly,

a ****ing moron"

i hate those, there all fake

i saw one where like a kid was in line, couldtn pay for ever thing, so he gets out of line, adn goes back puts the thing away adn then comes back to finish paying and a dude pays for the kdis ****...

first off, its fake, cuase if youve ever been to a walmart in america before, they have 2 of 72 checkouts open, possibly plus the 10 items only tobacco checkout, so that makes 3 our of 72.....plust theres a million ppl in those three check outs, all with full buggies, all in a hurry...no one in there right mind is gonna let the kid get out of line, and get back in

and two)..no one ever jsut pays for another persons ****. im sure it happens, probably more often than i think. However, ive been to walmart a gazillion times in my life, all over this country, and ive never seen someone pay for anohter persons ****

heck, low life existence of a human being at one of the local walmarts near me posed this year as a salvation army bell ringer, and stole all the money people donated!........HondaRacing83, was that you?:blah: :devil:

MX MaNiAc 06
01-14-2013, 11:27 AM

I don't like seeing all the people *****ing on there either. Especially the ones that are "broke" and get a check every month and have an iPhone 6G4Si super fast edition.

Broke people in general are annoying. You think you're the only human that's ever been tight on cash? I bet if you complain more people will give you money. Lol

ben300
01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Broke people in general are annoying. You think you're the only human that's ever been tight on cash? I bet if you complain more people will give you money. Lol

Barack will.......or at least he says he will:rolleyes:

HondaRacing83
01-14-2013, 02:04 PM
the ones the hate teh most are the posts of like

"dear wal-mart,

id like to tell you what i saw at your store in cumbag, cumbaggia. i was in line at teh check out and there was this dirt poor schmuck with all this food, yada yada yada, this person coulnt pay for it. nice dude behind him whips out a billion dollars ind pays for it all....yada yada yada.

sincerly,

a ****ing moron"

i hate those, there all fake

i saw one where like a kid was in line, couldtn pay for ever thing, so he gets out of line, adn goes back puts the thing away adn then comes back to finish paying and a dude pays for the kdis ****...

first off, its fake, cuase if youve ever been to a walmart in america before, they have 2 of 72 checkouts open, possibly plus the 10 items only tobacco checkout, so that makes 3 our of 72.....plust theres a million ppl in those three check outs, all with full buggies, all in a hurry...no one in there right mind is gonna let the kid get out of line, and get back in

and two)..no one ever jsut pays for another persons ****. im sure it happens, probably more often than i think. However, ive been to walmart a gazillion times in my life, all over this country, and ive never seen someone pay for anohter persons ****

heck, low life existence of a human being at one of the local walmarts near me posed this year as a salvation army bell ringer, and stole all the money people donated!........HondaRacing83, was that you?:blah: :devil: how do you think i got that fresh bowtech.. ;) i forgot you lived by me hahah

ben300
01-14-2013, 02:34 PM
how do you think i got that fresh bowtech.. ;) i forgot you lived by me hahah

haha ya, like 35-40 minutes south of you off 19. your what, closer to Cambridge Springs/Venango than you are to Meadville?

honda400ex2003
01-14-2013, 06:57 PM
i swore i would never have facebook and all that for a long long time then finally broke down and got it about a year and a half ago to try to stay in touch with a lady friend.

its addicting thats for sure, i have it on my phone and when bored, im reading stuff on there.

the only person i know that has been able to get off and stay off was my sister. she bailed after all the crap and actually stayed off. i should do the same but its nice to stay in touch with buddies and stuff from school and riding buddies i dont see.

steve

Zakradu398
01-14-2013, 07:26 PM
I don't get how people find it hard to not go on there? Hell, I'm 19 and didn't have a computer or internet capable phone for a few months. Didn't bother me for a second.

mineralgrey01gt
01-14-2013, 07:33 PM
I deactivated mine for 2+ years and reactivated it when i returned to being single. i didnt miss it but its nice keeping in touch with family on it. I eat, live, breathe it and I also went through and purged my friend list of people that do.

HondaRacing83
01-14-2013, 08:36 PM
haha ya, like 35-40 minutes south of you off 19. your what, closer to Cambridge Springs/Venango than you are to Meadville? Nah not really I'm actually like right outside Meadville inbetween conneaut lake and kinda saegertown. Im about 2-3 miles from the meadville walmart on a backroad if that makes sense

ben300
01-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Nah not really I'm actually like right outside Meadville inbetween conneaut lake and kinda saegertown. Im about 2-3 miles from the meadville walmart on a backroad if that makes sense

ya, i know exactly where your talking about. pretty close to my girl friends relatives

HondaRacing83
01-15-2013, 01:49 PM
ya, i know exactly where your talking about. pretty close to my girl friends relatives small world!