PDA

View Full Version : Elka vs. Works

exrider123
03-13-2003, 04:42 PM
What are the differences between elka tripple rate w/o rezzies and works w/o rezzies?...im just looking for a smoother ride on the trails...which one? thanks

tants
03-13-2003, 04:52 PM
they shouldnt even be compared... :rolleyes:

ELKA all the way

remlapr
03-13-2003, 04:54 PM
I know the low end Works are $300, but what about the low end Elkas? What's the next step up from works without getting into the $1000 range?

tants
03-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
I know the low end Works are $300, but what about the low end Elkas? What's the next step up from works without getting into the $1000 range?

quadrate elkas... around $600ish i think

exrider123
03-13-2003, 04:59 PM
is it worth it for spending another $100 on quadrates compared to the tripple rate w/o rezzy?

tants
03-13-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by exrider123
is it worth it for spending another $100 on quadrates compared to the tripple rate w/o rezzy?

works shocks are deff beter then stock. but compared to elka there not as good. if you can get the low end elkas and in the future and can always add a rezzy. if you only have a small amount of cash go with the works tripple rates

remlapr
03-13-2003, 05:10 PM
Man I just don't know about spending that much money on a pair of shocks - plus I would still need to get the rear at least rebuilt. I got a ? - will a steering stabilizer like the denton and/or a anti vibe stem do much for me (as far as smoothing out the ride) with the stock shocks, or should I just not even bother?

remlapr
03-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Come on Tants or somebody - this is a good question...

QuadTrix6
03-13-2003, 05:55 PM
no it will not help smooth out the ride but it will stop the bars from getting jerked out of your hands and will lessen arm pump, i would save up for suspension if your seroius its a major mod and with new suspension you will be able to ride 100x faster, its like a whole new better quad.

03-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Having rezzies and not having rezzies doesn't apply to the ride of each shock. Rezzies are there to help keep the shock cool..the ride can turn a little harsher over time to do heat build up. I've owned works and now own elka.....the ride is a whole lot different..not that the works were bad but that SSD spring on the elkas helps keep the wheels on the ground 50% more than the works which makes for a heck of alot less roll in the corners (hint, hint, MX guys;) ) and the overall ride is just awesome. The works did not do the same as the elka's in this area of riding..but they worked great on a MX track and pretty dang good in the woods.. The works and rear rebuilt shock were also setup for MX while my elka's front and back are XC/MX,,more XC than MX. So the works will perform great for MX or XC...but the elka's are a different ball game..

I see alot of post comparing Elka non rezzy and Works w/rezzy and there really is no comparison.. Even if the elka's have no rezzies and heat up and cause shock fade.....they still have a smoother and more comfortable ride over the works..Period..But the works I had worked awesome on both,,but that SSD and larger shaft really do make a huge difference in overall ride..:)

pane2k
03-13-2003, 06:20 PM
hey if you do decide to buy the works over the elkas..to save a few bucks my friend does the SSD or ZPS conversion to the shock for like 90 bucks, so it wouldnt be too much of a problem but if your gonna be on the track..just get the elkas...Youll be happier that way. But like Rico said works are good for XC but youll probably be happier with the Elkas. or even TCS.
Like rico said the rezzies dont affect the ride. But you could always get the Elka replacement Shock which comes with ZPS and doesnt have rezzies. You could get those new for like 500 bucks.

03-13-2003, 06:26 PM
And yes you can get a SSD spring and revalve put on works shocks too and that will help the ride tremendously..but by the time you spend that much money on them..you can get Elka's with the billet bodies,,titanium 5/8 shaft and just a better built shock hardware wise I think. Works are still good shocks if you don't wanna spend the $750+ for the elka w/rezzies..:cool:

pane2k
03-13-2003, 06:29 PM
well i do a little better than that ;)

remlapr
03-13-2003, 06:36 PM
I thought the SSD/ZPS springs were more for MX for getting the bike low?? Seems like low would be bad for XC because you need the ground clearence? I am definately setting mine up XC style - although I doubt I will ever actually race, unless I can get an O2 tank strapped to my six pack rack :D And what about going to +1 a-arms later, wouldn't I have to turn around and get them revalved again?

03-13-2003, 06:40 PM
IF you DO plan on getting +1 arms in the future just get them setup for +1 arms..they will still be a 1000% increase over stockers..and for the ground clearance with having a lot of squat and little ground clearance.........Just put the hamma down, hold on and don't worry about the litte stuff...:devious:

remlapr
03-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Rico
IF you DO plan on getting +1 arms in the future just get them setup for +1 arms..they will still be a 1000% increase over stockers..and for the ground clearance with having a lot of squat and little ground clearance.........Just put the hamma down, hold on and don't worry about the litte stuff...:devious:

Man I'd hate to be your skid plates Rico :blah

03-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Man I'd hate to be your skid plates Rico :blah

I"m on my 4th one and it's a PRM so I think it will last a little longer than my previous ones...:macho

QuadTrix6
03-14-2003, 08:23 AM
I thought the SSD/ZPS springs were more for MX for getting the bike low?? Seems like low would be bad for XC because you need the ground clearence? I am definately setting mine up XC style - although I doubt I will ever actually race, unless I can get an O2 tank strapped to my six pack rack :D And what about going to +1 a-arms later, wouldn't I have to turn around and get them revalved again?

yea im with rico here:eek2: :blah get it set up for whatever you plan on getting in the future, i rode my PEP shox for a few weeks with stock shocks even though they were setup for the plus 2 a arms, and they were still amazing :macho

400exBro
03-14-2003, 10:46 AM
BTW- i would like to add that the quad rates are only Long travel shocks!!!! that requires you to get lt a arms and such....

it might of been mention but i just would like to clarify that...

400EXrider#91
03-14-2003, 11:30 AM
yeah i am also in the market for shocks but in the 850-875 range. i want them to be good for mostly MX but maybe a lil XC. everybody says go elka but i was thinking about going PEP, i have no idea what i'm gonna do just this spring there will be a puchase made

remlapr
03-14-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by 400EXrider#91
yeah i am also in the market for shocks but in the 850-875 range. i want them to be good for mostly MX but maybe a lil XC. everybody says go elka but i was thinking about going PEP, i have no idea what i'm gonna do just this spring there will be a puchase made

Aren't Peps the ones that take several months to get? - I don't know about you but I want to ride with mine this year :cool:

isoder
03-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Since you seem to know quite a bit about shocks, do you happen to know how to get the bolt out of the swingarm. My 99 400ex i cannot remove the bolt to remove the swingarm. ANy tricks?

03-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by isoder
Since you seem to know quite a bit about shocks, do you happen to know how to get the bolt out of the swingarm. My 99 400ex i cannot remove the bolt to remove the swingarm. ANy tricks?

Some suggest a big hammer..I used a plasma cutter to get mine out...there not fun and I feel your pain..

isoder
03-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Plasma cutter? I am not familiar with that. I removed the nut on the shifter side of the motor. Is there anything else that holds it in place? I am having the same problem with trying to remove the axle nut. I have used a gallon of wd-40.. If there are any tricks....I am listening?

ajr400ex
03-15-2003, 03:16 AM
I used a Dremel tool to cut one off once then bought a new one. You have to be careful not to cut into the threads. Tried a torch and everything else first.

tricke
03-15-2003, 07:56 AM
does any one have a suggestion for shock's for dune riding?

WildCatRacer
03-15-2003, 12:50 PM
I would go with elkas unless you have a buget of $300. works aren't bad shocks, there better than most stockers, but the low end elkas you will be able to upgrade later when you have more money or just want a better ride. plus elkas have great customer service. when I order a set I got the 5 days later.