PDA

View Full Version : a little help....a-arms/tie rods

300EXrider02
03-13-2003, 03:34 PM
well my quad sits on my porch naked and the front end on a block, my question is when i took the a-arms off and shocks and still am, the a-arms just hang from the ball joint, the castle nut and cotter pin sp? are off, along with all the noraml bolts, but the wont come off....do u need to unscrew them? the are hanging there off the quad as i speak...also the tie rods are the only thing holding the darn wheels on...but they wont budge either...everytime i take an open end wrench to it and try to tug the off, the whole wheel moves, a little help on taking them off would be helpful:D and the a-arm problem:(

toby400ex
03-13-2003, 03:39 PM
You can buy a pickle fork from a car parts store for it, or you could hit the side of the spindle( the thing the ball joint is in).. Hit it on the inside part with a sledge hammer and it will break the taper lock. ITs really pretty cool, just make sure you dont miss:macho

toby400ex
03-13-2003, 03:40 PM
You can buy a pickle fork from a car parts store for it, or you could hit the side of the spindle( the thing the ball joint is in).. Hit it on the inside part with a sledge hammer and it will break the taper lock. ITs really pretty cool, just make sure you dont miss:macho

300EXrider02
03-13-2003, 05:09 PM
thanks a lot, hit the black thing the ball joint is in right, the spindle...thanks for telling me casue i could not pull them out:D
anyone have any help with the tie rods?

flying400ex
03-13-2003, 05:56 PM
to get the a-arms off you will need to take the wheels off the hubs. Then unbolt the tie rod and remove it from the hub you can leave it connected to the steering stem as long as you arnt extending your a-arms. Then I unbolted the bottom nut on my shock and loosened the top one and moved it aside and after i took the two bolt that hold the upper and lower a-arms to the hub i took a hammer and smacked the top of the ball joint and i also took a piece of wood and a to knock the bottom one lose that why you dont go missing and hitting your hub. Then once thats off i just unbolted the a-arms at the frame and remved them. did i lose you yet?:huh

QuadTrix6
03-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 300EXrider02
thanks a lot, hit the black thing the ball joint is in right, the spindle...thanks for telling me casue i could not pull them out:D
anyone have any help with the tie rods?

just loosen the two locknuts on the ends of the tie rod and spin em out, if your having trouble getting the balljjoints out of the knuckle just flip the castle bolts over and make them flush and hit it with a hammer, works good just don't go too nuts with wacking em :devil

300EXrider02
03-14-2003, 08:28 AM
alright, one, i unbolt the tie rodes from the hub and the steering stem, (i have to put 400ex tie rods in)
two, to get the ball joint off the knuckle, or hub i think, you what? hit the hub with a hammer? the a-arm? you lost me, i am first timer takin this crap off myself, bear with me:D

300EXrider02
03-16-2003, 06:58 AM
anyone?:( :(

426exMx
03-17-2003, 03:22 AM
you could also get a ball joint remover tool, works great and you dont have to worry about hitting it too hard. autozone has them as loaner tools.