PDA

View Full Version : condenser problem

fred400ex
01-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Hi guys,

I recently convert my 06 er to kickstart and I wanted to keep my headlights,
So I put a 04/05 condenser, but the problems is the condenser melted 2 min after it ran,
My question is,
Do I have to put a 06+ condenser or I have a trouble with my wiring? All my grounds are good..

Thanks !

OTMTRX
01-07-2013, 12:53 AM
It should have worked fine.. I ran an early condensor on my 06 when I converted to kick at first..

fred400ex
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Are you still running with lights ? Because mines were on when the condenser burned, its weird, maybe I had a bad condenser ?
Thanks for your reply

DnB_racing
01-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by fred400ex
Are you still running with lights ? Because mines were on when the condenser burned, its weird, maybe I had a bad condenser ?
Thanks for your reply like OMTRX said it should work with the early condensers ....it might be a bad ground in your head light,

the condenser on the conversion if using the +06 cdi must also connect to the black wire on the cdi,

but it only is actually being used for the low voltage, auxiliary circuit side of the cdi (lights, fan, and to power the cdi on +06) not anything for the high voltage side of the cdi (spark side)

crewworrior
04-06-2013, 10:51 AM
So does anyone actually know exactly what wires to hook the condensor to. I only need it for the fan and temp light. I can't find any info on exactly how to do this. Thanks

DnB_racing
04-06-2013, 12:24 PM
yes many people know how to do this...

it goes between the hot red and the green ground...

look at the frequently asked post at the top and go to race diagrams thread and it will show you what you want to know

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=461586

crewworrior
04-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Ok so I just wire into the key switch harness, but it was also mentioned that I need to run a wire from the red condensor to the black cdi wire? I have a dynatech cdi for 06+ but it looks like the 05 and has a single wire going to the 3rd cdi plug on the harness, do you know if that cdi requires any different wiring than a stock ER cdi. Thanks for the info it's just what I'm looking for.

DnB_racing
04-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by crewworrior
Ok so I just wire into the key switch harness, but it was also mentioned that I need to run a wire from the red condensor to the black cdi wire? I have a dynatech cdi for 06+ but it looks like the 05 and has a single wire going to the 3rd cdi plug on the harness, do you know if that cdi requires any different wiring than a stock ER cdi. Thanks for the info it's just what I'm looking for.

as far as the dynatech is it for a ER?

the +06 er and r have different cdi, and Im pretty sure any aftermarket would match oem wiring,

so if it was a ER cdi then yes if for a R then no...

but if it runs without the black wire then no. don't worry about it that's the +06 kill circuit wire from the throttle safety

fred400ex
04-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I had not the chance to work on my 450 since last time I posted.

If I understand well, the kicker cdi is required when doing the conversion? That would explain why I had troubles with my condenser.(I'm running the ER cdi at the moment)

Thanks for the help !

DnB_racing
04-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by fred400ex
Hi,

I had not the chance to work on my 450 since last time I posted.

If I understand well, the kicker cdi is required when doing the conversion? That would explain why I had troubles with my condenser.(I'm running the ER cdi at the moment)

Thanks for the help ! no you don't need the kicker cdi, but if using the ER cdi the reg/rec needs to stay along with adding a condenser,
if you want to get rid of reg/rec then you wont be able to use the auxiliary circuits for fan or lights..

its all depends what you want, full race or just to eliminate the E-start with light or without and fan.. but there are ways to do all the different combinations, any help needed let me know and ill do my best to help

crewworrior
04-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
as far as the dynatech is it for a ER?

the +06 er and r have different cdi, and Im pretty sure any aftermarket would match oem wiring,

so if it was a ER cdi then yes if for a R then no...

but if it runs without the black wire then no. don't worry about it that's the +06 kill circuit wire from the throttle safety
As of now I havnt done anything wiring wise and it fires right up but my temp light just barely illuminated so I shut it off and started searching the condensor wiring. And the dynatech is a FS cdi, I'm trying to find some info on it to help you help me lol.

crewworrior
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Here's what the cdi looks like and it says its for a r or Er in the listing.

crewworrior
04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
I just got on eBay and bought a 06+ harness $79 condensor $12 & CDI $29. Is there anything else ill need. Are the Er and R regulators the same.