PDA

View Full Version : Beginners guide.

Baxter
01-05-2013, 04:05 PM
I have been a member on here for along while and always wanted to build something but never knew enough to be confident to try.

There's a lot of great people on this forum and was looking for some basic tips and tricks to modifying a stock chassis.

Anything would help.

JOHNDOE83
01-09-2013, 02:07 PM
I built a cr250r/400ex hybrid without any frame modification.

Depending on motor choice frame modifying might be needed, I would utilize all the stock mounts in any way possible before cutting into the frame.

In some cases it might be a better choice to spend the extra money on a custom bracket or cradle to hold the motor using stock mounting locations.

All this depends on motor choice and frame size, if you go 2 stroke almost any motor will fit a stock 4 stroke chassis.

Get all your parts together before you build, if your custom making something take your time and re-do it 10 times if you have to until its right. Use loctite everywhere you replace a nut or bolt after test fitting is complete and the desired outcome is achieved. Once something is finished, bolt it and loctite it as if its never coming off again, you dont want to lose a bolt cause you forgot to tighten or loctite something.

Sometimes the hardest part is pipe fitment, I used a 400 pilot motor trx250r based FTZ in frame drag pipe for my build. I had to cut the pipe just right re route through a completely different part of the frame but it fits like a charm now and is a pefect fit for the build.

Good luck!

Baxter
01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Cheers JD.

250x_kyle
01-15-2013, 05:39 PM
One thing is think about every possible way you want to modify the frame for it to fit and decide what you think would work the best. Dont go cheap take your time if it takes a year and more money than you expected it will more then likely look clean. i rushed threw my conversion due to time issues and dissapointed with the outcome.

chain alignments the first and foremost issue once thats done you can be creative. look around at industrial supplier sites, tcs, home depot, ect you will find things you never thought would be useful that may save you major money (things that can be used as bushings, spacer, collars, ).

sorry if none of this makes sense lack of sleep is kicking in.

Baxter
01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
From what I have read , it makes perfect sense.

siderbox
01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
I agree with what has been said.
I'll restate a few and and add some.

1-Have a plan and stick to it
2-Write it down
3-Draw pictures
4-Look two and three steps ahead at all times
5-Be ready to change plans
6-I know what #1 says
7-It WILL take longer than you think
8-Take the time to make it right