PDA

View Full Version : Stock frame mods?

04450r
01-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Aside for the "why dont you get an aftermarket frame" and "why not just do this",how much has anyone modded a stock frame,suspension wise.
I have an 86 frame and already adding pro-peg mounts and setting it up for 88-89 grab bar. This summer plans include 88-89 rear motor mounts to use that style swingarm,and probly a removable sub-frame.
So my questions would be has anyone ran say a 20"-20.5" inch front shock by moving the upper shock mounts and what about setting up the rear for a long travel yfz450 shock and linkage? Obviously it would be easier to run a shorter front shock and a normal setup in the rear,or just buy a frame,but wheres the fun in that?..lol

deathman53
01-05-2013, 02:12 PM
if you get long travel "long shock, as they used to be called" a-arms, you need anywhere from a 19-21" front shock. So, leave the shock towers alone. As for the rear shock, walsh sells a kit to put a cr500 link and shock on a stock frame. I believe it also has gussets to help with cracking as to where the pressure point on the shock is moved to.

04450r
01-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I was aware of the walsh kit for the rear,but on a budjet and fab work not being an issue,was just wondering if any one has actually finished and tested it. I know there has been a couple threads about it. And I have easy access to the yfz parts. And I have also consider the 450r swap as well,but looking for something a little different that the average swap. I am by no means a "pro rider" and actually get as much enjoyment building as I do riding.
As far as the front goes,say I already have +3 LT arms that call for a max of 19.75" shock and I have
20.25",is that .50" going to make a big difference?
Yes I can have te length of the shock change and they are pep zps,so I have a little room to play.

fearlessfred
01-05-2013, 06:19 PM
the .50 is enough to put your ball joints in a bind probably in full droop. if you have to compress the shocks to put them on,they will be in a bind.if the shock body is not to long as to prevent full bump,shorting them can be as simple as a alum spacer on the bottom side of the shock internaly

markk
01-27-2013, 01:04 AM
id recomend pulling all you shocks off the machine and setting the frame or the skid plate and inch and a half off the ground and getting your compressed lenght from center to center hole. then stretching the quad upward as high as you can go before you tie rods/ends and or ball joints start to bind. then suspend the quad at that same even height and get your measurements for your overall shock lenght. with my set up my arms called for an 18 and 3/4 inch shock and i was able to slap on a 19.5 inch fronts. and i didnt even have to change my rear because it was spot on.

there are a few diffrent threads on how to properly figgure out shocks lenghts. if you search. without cutting or choppings frames. when i started racing there were a few guys running some 21 inch front i think with roll chassis though.

04450r
01-27-2013, 01:19 AM
Thank you Markk. This was more of a what has been done thread,and I already had the 20.25" Pep fronts anyways. I have since got an Axis (250r) rear. Plans are to make it through a couple Quad Wars then the whole quad is going in to get setup properly. I have one week to get this thing from bare frame to ready to ride so Im busting just to get that done..lol

skyeryder
01-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Something else to consider is with 86-87 frames you can run the 450 swing arm instead of welding in parts to run 88-89 stuff just a thought