PDA

View Full Version : Metal pieces found in oil when drained

mad4106
01-04-2013, 04:40 PM
I drained my oil to put to start putting the new dowel pins cause one came loose so I'm assuming it's part of the cam or head cause the cam was riding on the head I'm assuming what y'all think?

CJM
01-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Pull apart the engine and find out where it came from. You dont want to find out later when it blows.

mad4106
01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
I hope just the top end end cause the bottome end is tricky. Cjm when u take the valve cover off and put it back on do u have to set the valves again if it was already set?

CJM
01-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Gonna have to redo the valves once you take it off.

Personally you could let it go and hope you got whatever the shavings are out. But why chance it?

DragonGunner
01-05-2013, 07:31 AM
What?? Why would you have to re-adjust the valves by simply taking off the valve cover.....?

JOHNDOE83
01-05-2013, 09:51 AM
OK, I have found what looked like metal flakes also when I first bought my ex.

everytime I changed the oil I thought "did I buy a POS thats about to explode?"

years and years have passed and a 440 kit installed still flakes in the oil.

Ive come to the conclusion that its not metal but its fibers from the clutch, if it were metal it would be magnitized and the amount of flakes would have ate a hole the EX motor by now.

maybe its from aftermarket clutchs, maybe its from the type of oil we use, in some cases it may be metal, but I have yet to have a problem with my motor and I had the 440 for years now and beat on it VERY well over the years and its still strong with lots of compression and no engine noises.

If you tear it apart and everything looks good, it has to be clutch fibers or something else.

Zakradu398
01-05-2013, 11:35 AM
If it is infact metal from the motor and not just the clutch I would tear down the whole motor..

CJM
01-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
What?? Why would you have to re-adjust the valves by simply taking off the valve cover.....?

Take it off, Ive done it before and found the valves moved. Dont ask me how, but it happened more than once. I wouldnt have believed it myself otherwise.

DragonGunner
01-06-2013, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Take it off, Ive done it before and found the valves moved. Dont ask me how, but it happened more than once. I wouldnt have believed it myself otherwise.

On thinking on this I guess it would be a good ideal to do....when torguing down the valve cover it could go down a little tighter and change the setting......never re checked after doing this but doing checks they luckily have always been good to go, or close......but can see now how they could be off.

CJM
01-06-2013, 05:28 PM
yea I mean its not a whole lot and you can get away with the valves being too loose rather than too tight, but it does move.