PDA

View Full Version : 400ex front shocks

JACK STRAW
01-03-2013, 06:00 PM
can any other shocks fit the front of a 400ex besides the 450r's. if so is there many modifications that have to be done? thanks

dxcody
01-03-2013, 06:41 PM
09+ YFZ shocks will not fit.

I know that for a fact.

Older YFZ shocks will fit.

Z400 shocks will fit.
05+ has the rezzi

uhm... I don't think LTR shocks will and even if they do, they would be too long.. Maybe with long travel A arms, but if you have long travel arms, You probably would wanna go with fox or something.

As far as upgrading shocks... Basically get 450R fronts or YFZ fronts.

Or just get a pair of HLS standard shocks for $300

cheater13
01-04-2013, 06:32 AM
I thing HLS raised their price to 495 on gtthunder's website for the standard shocks. I need some shocks down the road and was looking to get either the 450r shocks or the hls if their any better.

I think before that happens, i kind of want to respring and revalve my rear stock shock for my weight.

dxcody
01-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Well the price goes..

HLS Standard USED: $295

HLS Standard NEW: $495

HLS Elite USED: $550

HLS Elite NEW: ???? I don't know about that one.

But their used shocks, get fully rebuilt and new fluids and everything, and they set them up for your weight/riding style when you buy them.

DragonGunner
01-04-2013, 08:52 AM
We did a mod on my sons 400EX using YFZ450 shocks, but you will have to do some welding. The 04' YFZ, and probably the rest of them are too wide. We re welded the tabs on the lower a arms and the same on the frame. My son really liked the set up and the adjustments on the YFZ....we went up to Red Bud MX for a open ride and it was the roughest thing I ever rode on, the sons YFZ shocks made him go faster, I could barely hang with him with my built EX and Works shocks....got him on the jumps and woops though. Come to think of it, I sent a picture of our mod to Dirt Wheels and they published it.

chronicsmoke
01-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Do you know what issue Gunner? I'll check and see if I still have it.

It's cool to see some of you guys in DW sometimes :cool:

DragonGunner
01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Do you know what issue Gunner? I'll check and see if I still have it.

It's cool to see some of you guys in DW sometimes :cool:

I'll dig into them later today...might find some pics. too....it would of been back around 2006 give or take.....

edit: just found it...I'll post pic. later...its page 40 of issue Nov. 05'.....we had to modify the top frame mount, it fit the bottom a arm....however I now remember that the shock was 3/8 shorter than the stock 400EX shock and seemed to sit lower in the front...we put 21" tires on and it helped....Later we modified the lower a arms and made the tabs taller, bringing up the front and making it better for 20" tires.....

dxcody
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I knew the 09+ were too wide on the top shock mount because when my Brother in Law got his HLS Elites for his '10 YFZ-X they weren't even close to fitting on my quad because I was going to buy them.

Wasn't sure about the later models I just knew people had done it.

DragonGunner
01-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
I'll dig into them later today...might find some pics. too....it would of been back around 2006 give or take.....

edit: just found it...I'll post pic. later...its page 40 of issue Nov. 05'.....we had to modify the top frame mount, it fit the bottom a arm....however I now remember that the shock was 3/8 shorter than the stock 400EX shock and seemed to sit lower in the front...we put 21" tires on and it helped....Later we modified the lower a arms and made the tabs taller, bringing up the front and making it better for 20" tires.....

DragonGunner
01-13-2013, 10:21 AM

01boneless
01-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
and they set them up for your weight/riding style when you buy them.

they dont...its extra