PDA

View Full Version : Lectron, FCR,...BIGGER CARBS

400exJOE
12-11-2001, 04:52 PM
Anyone here running a bigger aftermarket carb on their 440? I am going to buy a Lectron 38mm for my 440 any just wanted some info on what it will do as opposed to running the 440 with the stock 35.5 carb.

stevengates45
12-11-2001, 04:58 PM
i reccomend a bigger carb. I reccomend lectron carbs also. I have not messed with an FCR though, so they might be good carbs, im just not sure. Like they say though, if you have a big motor, you have to have something big to feed it.

Dave400ex
12-11-2001, 06:00 PM
The Lectron is a good carb. That`s what TC Racing uses. You should check out the January 2002 Atv Action. They test five different carbs. The Lectron makes the most horsepower, but it was the hardest to install. It`s an inch shorter than all the others so the airbox had to be modified so it could reach it. The best carb in the shootout was the Keihin 41mm FCR.

Chef
12-11-2001, 06:20 PM
they make a 41mm FCR? i thought that they just made the 39mm...

but back to the question of this thread. ive raced, and beaten quads that had almost the word for word engine mods i do, that had the lectron, or even the stock carb... i beat the stock carb by a good 8 quad lengths, and the lecton by about 3. the lecton is FAR FAR better than the stocker, but the FCR will beat it, and i dont like the idea of no jets on the lectron...it seems like it would only have a certain range of richening up and leaning out, therefore leaving you stuck at the maximum adjustment and not being able to make it right

Dave400ex
12-11-2001, 06:26 PM
I didn`t know they made a 41mm FCR either until I saw it in ATV Action.

400MXer
12-11-2001, 10:11 PM
A friend i race with has a Fischer 440 and he runs a 41mm FCR.........let me tell you, IT hauls balls. That quad has so much power. I can only imagine how much HP he's got.

86atc250r
12-12-2001, 08:29 AM
Everyone's all the sudden a fan of the Lectron after the magazine review.

Don't put all your stock into a magazine review, too much potential for bias (consider how many Edelbrock advertisements you see VS Keihin ads).

Do yourself a favor and do a little research before buying a Lectron. Talk to some owners. I'd suggest thinking long and hard before laying the money down for a Lectron. There's a reason (actually many reasons) people are paying $400+ for FCRs and Edelbrocks when the Lectron is available for around $200.

Then talk to the owners of the other two mainstream carbs the FCR and the Edelbrock.

And yes guys, the FCR comes in many different sizes.

TrX465
12-12-2001, 10:50 AM
yes they do make the 41mm its the exact same price as the 39 to

12-12-2001, 11:21 AM
I had a 36MM Lectron carb that I bought from TC, I repeat, HAD.
The carb is not meant to be put on the 400, do you know how many problems I went through with it. My throttle stuck a bunch of times, which luckily I didn't get hurt. You have to turn the carb to a 1'o clock position which causes gas to leak. My air boot would always come off the carb, even with a custom 1 inch forward bracket.

When it was working it did pretty well, but too many problems to keep it. I called TC back when I was having throttle sticking problems, he said you have to clean it every 5 hours of riding or after every race. Too much trouble. It cost me $250, I should have saved it for the FCR.

Now I am in the process of saving for a good carb, I wrote this to give a warning to anybody who might get a Lectron:grr

12-12-2001, 12:50 PM
with the bigger carbs. you gain tons of top end but you lose alot of bottom end. In one ATV sport they had a TMM 440 with a 39 FCR and a modified stock carb. The used the FCR for tracks like red bull with long straits and the stock for small BMX-like tracks with lots of turns.

86atc250r
12-12-2001, 01:59 PM
That stands to reason using conventional wisedom, however....

I did tests on my machine with the stock carb vs the FCR with exactly the same setup:

lightened 87mm 10.8:1 JE piston
mild head work, port matching, and chamber polishing
XR cam
14T front sprocket

I found that with the FCR, I gained power everywhere, especially in the bottom and mid and to a lesser extent, the top.

With the stock carb, power was down everywhere.

In fact, with the FCR, I could incinerate my tires just off idle on pavement by cracking open the throttle - the stock carb will not do this. On open trails, I am a gear higher with the FCR. This engine loves to be short shifted and I've since found that it loves tall gearing, now I run a 16T, and I'm a woods racer. An engine that was down on power in the bottom wouldn't stand for 16T front gearing in the woods..

I would not go back to the stock carb for any conditions.

Results may differ on a stock engine or a different combo, but this is what I observed on my quad...

I did also spend a considerable amount of time in making sure my FCR was dialed in, which has a lot to do with the results I got...

stevengates45
12-12-2001, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Everyone's all the sudden a fan of the Lectron after the magazine review.

i've always liked Lectron. I havent seen the review about the carb. What mag & which month is it?? Id like to read it

Dave400ex
12-12-2001, 05:53 PM
It`s in the January 2002 Atv Action.

oynot400
12-12-2001, 06:44 PM
When I was carb shopping I thought about the Lectron carb. Mainly because I could buy a used one for about $100. This made me think why they were selling it so cheap when everyone else was over $400. After doing some research, I found that they don't mount up well and they are nearly impossible to dial in and keep dialed in.
I ended up getting the FCR with the 400ex kit. Which was made for the 400ex. Even though I don't have it completely dialed it has tons of power all threw the power band. It has to be just as big of a power gain when I added the 440 kit and cam.
So in my opion save your money for the FCR.;)

400MXer
12-12-2001, 11:15 PM
my400ex

what did they say about the TMM 440. was it a good motor. Does Tom Miller Motorsports do good work. What mag/month was it in.

Has anyone been to Fischer Cycle for motorwork? That's where i might be taking mine. They do great work.