PDA

View Full Version : GNCC 400ex project

louie401
01-03-2013, 02:04 PM
I currently have a 2005 400ex with trx450r shocks hmf silencer stage 1 hot cam a cheap steering stabilizer pro taper bars. Should i get a full exhaust or a stage 2 hot cam and i'm also considering getting new sprockets the motor is stock except the hot cam whats a good sprocket combination what are your opinion on bead lock rims. What are you're guys opinions on a few more upgrades. Thanks:D

dxcody
01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Hands down get those 450r fronts converted by GTT or Jet Suspension or some suspension company like that.

I am a gt thunder fan, or Jet, but there are a lot of companies that do it.

I run a stock gearing on my 07 400 and it is awesome for the woods. Rarely have to pull the clutch in no matter how tight the woods gets.

DragonGunner
01-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Stock motor I would not go stage 2 cam, you will need higher compression piston for that. stage 1 is good for woods. Beadlocks for the rear would be a good. Don't need a full exhaust, a good slip on and your good to go. Just make sure your jetting is adjusted for it.

400man
01-03-2013, 05:15 PM
look for some used beadlocks for front and rear if you can. i had my front tire knocked off the bead a few years ago in a race and that convinced me to get beadlocks

ben300
01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by louie401
I currently have a 2005 400ex with trx450r shocks hmf silencer stage 1 hot cam a cheap steering stabilizer pro taper bars. Should i get a full exhaust or a stage 2 hot cam and i'm also considering getting new sprockets the motor is stock except the hot cam whats a good sprocket combination what are your opinion on bead lock rims. What are you're guys opinions on a few more upgrades. Thanks:D

it depends what class will you be running? if the sport 15+, then you could probably get away with not running much motor mods on a 400.

as for gearing. it depends. i run either stock, or if the course im running has a lot of steep uphills, i throw a tooth down up front so i can get more torque out of third gear. if the track is as much up and down and i can cruise more, i leave it stock.

honestly i wouldnt worry about rims, or any real motor mods for right now. the number one think you can do rightr now is send your 450 fronts and your rear shock to GT thunder, Jett, Derissi, or greg's atv and have them completely rebuilt, resprung, and set up for your weight adn riding style. through ina gt thunder rear xc link as well. this will make your atv handle sooooooooooooo much better than it currently does and will be better for your in the long run cause you can handle the course better, it will fatigue you less, and ultimately make you faster!

also i woulndt worry so much about beadlocks. if you can find a nice used set for a good price, pick them up. the stock honda rims are tough, and they will flat out hold a bead!

toomanytoys
01-10-2013, 07:57 AM
I second the strong honda rims.

Most of my bikes have been 300EXs and 400EXs and those rims will take a beating and never blew a bead off.