PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Trx450er Bog Problem, jetting questions

Rohr397
12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Alright so I've been trying to fix this bogging issue on my Trx450er the last few days and have tried everything from cleaning the carb to the petcock to changing gas and doing a lot more misc things. I was searching around on Google when I came across this thread, http://www.trx450r.org/forum/93-engine/160662-throttle-hesitation-2006-trx450er.html

^This sounds exactly like what my problem is, and I was curious if the solution suggested would be worth a shot. Also I was curious if anyone knew where I could find the HRC jetting specs or an HRC kit or something along those lines for a low price. I don't really trust my dealer anymore and they charge way too much, plus I really don't want to put a cam in it quite yet. Anyways, just looking for some jetting advice, I'm pretty low elevation and temperatures are all over the place, Washington state lol. Thanks!

CJM
12-31-2012, 06:20 PM
FCR carb, they bog like no other and one of the main reasons I bought an 04 instead of 06+. Sorry to toot my own horn.

Anyways, my friend had the same issue and he tried many different jetting combos. What fixed it in the end perfect was installing a boyesen quick shot adjustable leak jet. This allows you to fine tune it. It does cost 100 bucks tho.

Also up your jetting, im not a guru on the FCR carb so you may want to ask over at the org if nowhere here can help. What I can tell ya is to try a 162 main thats what the HRC is iirc.

DnB_racing
01-01-2013, 02:06 PM
when tuned properly the FCR is a great carb, the bog can be cured by running a 55 or smaller leak jet, or like CJM says spend a hundred bucks for the adjustable leak jet .... but with those you do get a larger accelerator pump bowl,

a little cheaper option is to get the quick shot with no adjustable leak jet and get a 35 leak jet,

on the adjustable ones its a set it and forget it setting anyways, once setup you don't adjust it again, its just like adding a smaller leak jet and quick shot bowl,

Rohr397
01-01-2013, 04:56 PM
So if I am understanding correctly a 55 leak jet would fix the bog without removing the air box lid?

fmfhonda250r
01-01-2013, 05:54 PM
a hrc jet kit is a 16010-nlz-610. Includes a 55 leak jet, a ngpr needle and a 162 main. Smaller leak jet does not always mean better. All motors are different. For a stock motor a 55 should be pretty close when you have the correct pump timing. No leak jet or pump cover will do any good if your pump timing is off.

Rohr397
01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm just trying to clarify things here guys.

What I'm getting from everything put together here is that I should put in a 55 leak jet and try that, not use the rest of the HRC jets, and not remove the airbox lid, and then depending on whether it works or not try the full HRC set of jets with and without the airbox to see if that works.

DnB_racing
01-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by fmfhonda250r
a hrc jet kit is a 16010-nlz-610. Includes a 55 leak jet, a ngpr needle and a 162 main. Smaller leak jet does not always mean better. All motors are different. For a stock motor a 55 should be pretty close when you have the correct pump timing. No leak jet or pump cover will do any good if your pump timing is off. motors are different but carbs are all the same,

by that I mean your fcr carb jetted at the same elevation is the same carb I have jetted at the same elevation, no differences in equally jetted circuits,
on the Honda fcr you don't need to do the same adjustments to the acc pump springs as you do on the Yamaha acc pump spring ,,,,90% of the bogs will be all but eliminated with simply adding a larger acc pump bowl and smaller leak jet,

the bog is usually caused by the fuel empting too quick from the acc pump bowl and the smaller leak jet almost always cures this

but please explain the pump timing so we can better understand its relationship and how its can be timed better

if your talking about the length of time of the squirting of fuel, ive only had to adjust Yamahas ..almost never Hondas they have mostly seamed to be fine with just the leak.... but I haven't had to do that many Honda carb modifications they have all been a easy fix ,
mostly Yamahas FCR has been a short squirt problem that Ive seen

DnB_racing
01-01-2013, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rohr397
I'm just trying to clarify things here guys.

What I'm getting from everything put together here is that I should put in a 55 leak jet and try that, not use the rest of the HRC jets, and not remove the airbox lid, and then depending on whether it works or not try the full HRC set of jets with and without the airbox to see if that works. [/QUOTE

if I were you I would use the HCR jetting kit, the hcr needle is a good one its one of my personal favorites for a lightly modded R

Rohr397
01-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Okay, so tomorrow I'll pick the jet kit up, throw it in. Thing is this isn't lightly modded this is bone stock so how far would I have to go with opening it up?

eastside 400
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
the smaller leak jet will probably take care of your issues...sometimes you have to adjust pump timing to get the bog to completely go away...there is a small phillips screw on the pump linkage that will adjust when the squirt starts in relation to throttle opening. What you want to do it take the carb off but leave your throttle hooked up, make sure the carb has fuel in it and smack the throttle as quick as you can. the squirt should just miss hitting the slide or barely hit it upon opening. sometimes the squirt hits the slide too much or is way too late causing a bog.

Rohr397
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Picked up my jets at the dealership today. Luckily, being that I've gone there for awhile now and know the person working the parts counter pretty well, I talked with her a bit more about this issue. From what I understand it's pretty common for the Honda's around this year to have a bad bog off the showroom and she's familiar with helping people find the cure for their quad/bike. Sounds like installing the HRC jetting does the trick for these 06's. That being said the needle was discontinued, she checked the whole system to make sure and it didn't show up anywhere online and the part number didn't turn up any useful results on Google for a replacement or similar part, but they'll contact me if they are able to come up with an alternative. Based on that I'm gonna through the other jets in and see how that works, if I need the needle I'll search for one on eBay or something, but I was told this has yet to fail for the dealership or any of their Honda's that they ride so it should be good. Once I get the jets on and test it out I'll let you guys know.

eastside 400
01-02-2013, 06:07 PM
i always use the OBEKR needle...kawi number 16187-0069 and yamaha number 5JG-14916-ER-00. it works really good for me on a bunch of carbs ive set up and the jetting that goes with it is really close to what normal jetting is

Baileygunns
01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
5TA-14916-V1-00 is the Yamaha part number for the NCVQ needle.. I wanna say its like $11 or $12 bucks.

hondathumper92
01-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Yeah Bailey that's the same needle I run and that's what sparks recommend to me and it has worked awesome for me and it was 12$

DnB_racing
01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
5TA-14916-V1-00 is the Yamaha part number for the NCVQ needle.. I wanna say its like $11 or $12 bucks. this is arguably one of the best tapered needles for a high compression setup,,but might have just a little too much midrange and possibly run a little rich on a stock machine

Rohr397
01-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Bog is fixed! :D

Just the leak jet and main jet switch worked perfectly, it doesn't hiccup a bit now, completely smooth, completely reliable and instant throttle response. Maybe down the road when I can afford motor mods again I'll throw that needle in but for now this should do the trick!