PDA

View Full Version : new build, couple questions.....

jwags13
12-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I am trying to decide between doing a lsr/trx450r ground up build or a walsh/crf ground up build and was wondering what is the benefit of running the crf motor over the trx motor? I know the crf would use efi but is there any other benefits? I have done several trx250r builds but just now getting into the 4 strokes and working on them. Thanks for any info. Also for people building lsr framed crf hybrids, are you using the lsr 250r goemetry frame or the lsr 450r geometry frame? I would think they would be using the 450r geomety but in everyones pics it looks like the 250r geometry to me? Thanks again.

Groves187
12-31-2012, 09:48 AM
You can send lsr a motor and have it put in and frame you want. When i was working there a couple people had trx chassis made for the crf motor. I dont know about walsh's return policy but i know Lsr stands behind there product and has a life time replacment on there chassis parts and axles. Also something to think about...

jwags13
12-31-2012, 02:29 PM
You can send lsr a motor and have it put in and frame you want. When i was working there a couple people had trx chassis made for the crf motor. I dont know about walsh's return policy but i know Lsr stands behind there product and has a life time replacment on there chassis parts and axles. Also something to think about...

Thanks for the info, i had no idea lsr would do that. Still no replies on why the crf motor is superior to the trx? Anyone?

Groves187
12-31-2012, 02:38 PM
It makes more power out of the box, it revs higher and is lighter than the trx. I have a full lsr 250r crf. Im planning on staying with the 250r chassis and doing a Fi crf when my current motor is done.

I think the chassis is all rider preferance. After riding my hybrid for a wile i road my fridnds trx and i wasnt really to big of a fan. I feel like i sit more "in the quad" on my hybrid and more "on the quad" on the trx. My 250r hybrid is also about 25-30 pounds lighter than a production race quad ready to hit the track.

jwags13
12-31-2012, 11:13 PM
It makes more power out of the box, it revs higher and is lighter than the trx. I have a full lsr 250r crf. Im planning on staying with the 250r chassis and doing a Fi crf when my current motor is done.

What swing arm and link do you run on your 250r geomtry crf? Any chance you could email me a couple pics? Thanks for the info man.

Groves187
01-01-2013, 04:39 PM
I run the lsr no-link chassis and swinger. I dont think lsr ever offered and cr500 or crf link setups. Just pm me your email and i will get some for you. Anything perticular you want?

chopp124
01-01-2013, 05:49 PM
i have a crf hybrid i run the no link. becarefull with those new efi crf motors i have heard alot of crazy stuff with them not lasting and the maping being tough cause ther in an atv now. heres some pics of my crf hybid in build stages

chopp124
01-01-2013, 05:50 PM
houser crf

chopp124
01-01-2013, 05:52 PM
houser

chopp124
01-01-2013, 05:54 PM
houser. this is a 250r geometry frame

hontrx265r
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Where have you heard of problems or issues with the efi motor? Walsh seems to be very happy with them. I know I am more then happy with mine. Everything takes a little work to get right but I've really had no big issues. I installed autotune for my pc5 and it made a huge difference in how crisp the power is, not to mention no worries about fuel map being correct. I even installed the map switch to start building a database of maps for different locations. Already have a few for the track and a real good one for the dunes. My efi is dialed.. rest the hate.. haha.

Groves187
01-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
Where have you heard of problems or issues with the efi motor? Walsh seems to be very happy with them. I know I am more then happy with mine. Everything takes a little work to get right but I've really had no big issues. I installed autotune for my pc5 and it made a huge difference in how crisp the power is, not to mention no worries about fuel map being correct. I even installed the map switch to start building a database of maps for different locations. Already have a few for the track and a real good one for the dunes. My efi is dialed.. rest the hate.. haha.

I was waiting for you to chime in....

hontrx265r
01-02-2013, 06:55 PM
couldn't help it...haha. I hit glamis last weekend it was awesome got tons of seat time. Its already setup for the track again if you want to go hit me up. Sorry for jacking the thread. In regards to the thread though... I don't personally see the point in converting a trx to a crf. Its not enough of a difference for the average rider to really benefit from the work unless you just like to be different. Both the no link and cr500/crf rear setups are great when the shocks are built right. The most notable difference will be the airbox setup between the two. They both have their issues so just have to attack it.

chopp124
01-02-2013, 10:14 PM
lol cody gibson blows that ***** up all the time. u just dont hear bout it. and alot of guys up here are bailing on them. do u race yours? thats probably the difference. there having a hard time even getting 30+ hrs in the dirtbikes im hearing. cause i was looking into doing an efi crf or yz. my buddy beat me to the punch on the inverted yz motor im sure it will be up as a build soon enough

chopp124
01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
the last thing i think walsh will do is steer people away from his hybrid. hes got alot into that roller and at 8g im sure hes doing well

hontrx265r
01-03-2013, 08:30 AM
My motor is also stock! I rode with a guy this past weekend with 95hrs on his meter. Its been said a million times stock is reliable and in this case not slow.

Groves187
01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
You have to understand these guys are probably pushing 60ish hp maybe 65 and they ride them very hard... i dont think many motors with high compression and all the other stuff pushing 60hp and being over reved and road hard would last very long....

To the average person who wont have a high hp race motor and wont rev the motor all the way out to save a shift before the next corner will be fine. Like Mike said stock is reliable.

frank mb
01-03-2013, 10:38 AM
In Europe they had case cracking problems with the efi crf. They just made a bushing in the case were the swingarm pivot goes is. And now those engines run great!

hontrx265r
01-03-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I would bet there is a motor alignment issue, if the case is cracking at the swingarm. A stronger material sleeved in may have "fixed" the problem of the case cracking but I think there is still an issue. I know you guys have some different frame mfg's over the pond could be a design/fab error, interesting non the less. the 2010 yz is a good strong motor, but considerably heavier then the crf I believe. "Dallas" supposedly had a 2010 yz conversion but I haven't heard anything on it lately.

chopp124
01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
thats who did the coversion he just needs to get off his *** and finish it

chopp124
01-03-2013, 07:13 PM
and yeah all the crf motors im talking about are punched out. not stock

frank mb
01-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I would bet there is a motor alignment issue, if the case is cracking at the swingarm. A stronger material sleeved in may have "fixed" the problem of the case cracking but I think there is still an issue. I know you guys have some different frame mfg's over the pond could be a design/fab error, interesting non the less. the 2010 yz is a good strong motor, but considerably heavier then the crf I believe. "Dallas" supposedly had a 2010 yz conversion but I haven't heard anything on it lately.

The wall thickness is much thinner on the 09-13 crf efi motors then on the old and other brand motors. That is what was the problem. and maybe to much flex in the frame. Allignement was good, I saw that myself.