PDA

View Full Version : 06 450er, ran fine, now bogging?

Rohr397
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Last night I finally picked up a new quad. It's a 2006 450er, really clean and all stock. It ran great last night, test drove it, listened to the motor, checked the whole thing over really well. I knew what to look for and to look at it good because I've had some sketchy purchases lately.

So today I take it out and warm it up to give it a test drive, and it starts right up, warms up and everything is good. I drive it down the driveway, shift it to second and ease onto the gas, no problem. Then I turn it around ease into it again and ride it up the driveway, still good. I decided I would punch the throttle from 1/2 throttle up and that's when it happened, it just cut out and bogged, then got going again. I thought it was odd so I rode it most of the way up and tried it again, same exact thing happened! I parked it, put it into neutral and tested it out, it delayed a bit when I stabbed it the first time and after that it worked fine in neutral when I stab the throttle, but for some reason it bogs out when I ride it up the driveway.

Any ideas? I specifically made sure that it didn't bog or anything last night and tried it out to make sure when I stab the throttle it doesn't delay, and I watched the seller stab it in neutral after he warmed it up. I just don't get why it worked great last night, like absolutely perfect, and today it's got a bog. No elevation difference or change in temperature, motor is all stock, gas in the tank, is there something I'm missing here? Maybe disconnect the TPS or something? Idk the only time I had this kind of bog was on my 04 Yfz and that was because it needed the zip tie mod.

DnB_racing
12-28-2012, 02:35 PM
to me it sounds like a dirty carb, from old ethanol based fuel,

open the carb bowl screw and see if you have fuel running out, if no fuel blow into the gas tank vent tube to get some gas flowing out the carb ,,,, if this is the problem drain your whole system and put in fresh gas,

the previous owner probably put gas he had hanging around into it, if I was to guess

Rohr397
12-28-2012, 03:14 PM
I was hoping you were right cause that would have made perfect sense, but I tried it and it didn't hesitate a bit it drained great.

My friend also suggested that the carb was dirty and that a jet might be plugged but it seems to flood it when I stab the gas hard cause when I start it back up it starts like it had the throttle already pumped a few times.