PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

SAB400ex
03-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Im new to the ATV thing, ive got a 400ex and was wondering if someone could explain to me how the suspension works (i.e. rebound adjustments, stiffness, softness). I was out riding at the local track and noticed my rearend and fornt end dont feel as good on take offs and landings as my friends 400.

AndrewRRR
03-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Does he have aftermarket suspension? Is your's stock? Pretty much anything is better than stock.
To explain all about shocks would take a few hundred pages. I'm sure there are some pretty good sites on the web. Springs, valving, settings, etc. all need to be adjusted to your size and riding style.

SAB400ex
03-13-2003, 10:35 AM
Both rides are stock, what im wondering is what changes happen if i adjust the fron and rear shocks. Is stiffer or softer better for jumps or what combination works best?

YZROOSTINYA
03-13-2003, 11:46 AM
on the front at the bottom you can turn the adjustment to harder or softer. in the back there is a screw at the top that is used to make the shock compress slower and the one at the bottom can be used to make the shock rebound or return to its normal postion slower or faster depending on which way both screws are turned. it might be vice versa as far as top and bottom but that is the adjustments they make.

it all depends on how you like your ride, stiff,soft.......