PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Registration?

zfire_28
03-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Some friends and I were planning a trip to ride some trails in northern Wisconsin. anyways i just called the Black River service center and they told me, being that i bought my 400ex from a private individual and Illinois does not register atvs, I will have to pay wisconsin 5% of the purchase price. I paid $4000 for this quad, that meens i gotta pay $200 to the state of wisconsin just to get a sticker to ride their trails!!!!!!............does anyone know if this is the only way I can get a sticker to ride there, cause if it is, the state of wisconsin can kiss my ___.:mad: :mad: :mad:

spliffy
03-13-2003, 09:16 AM
I Ride In Wisconsin All The Time, I Live In MN. You Do Have To Be Showing Valid Registration To Ride. But As Far As The 5% Thing Goes , They Are Basically Asking To You Register It In WI, You Could Get Buy Cheaper If Thats The Only Way To Go By Making A Bill Of Sale For Say $1000.00 & Just Pay $50 Then. You Don't Get Any Kind Of Registration Numbers In IL?? Thats Just Weird , But I Would Think That If You Have A Bill Of Sale & A IL Drivers License That You Could Ride In WI , Just If You Get Pulled Over To Be Able To Prove That You Live In State That Doesnt Register ATV's.

Doibugu2
03-13-2003, 09:27 AM
When we went, we rode all day saturday. Well in the morning, we drove all over town trying to find a place to buy a stupid sticker. Well after an hour of driving and no place selling the sticker, we just said screw it and rode without it.

We didn't have a problem. But if I were you, I would just play dumb if you get stopped by a ranger. But just be nice.

I really did not like riding there though. It was wet as hell, and if you don't have a 4x4 you better know how to ride through mud if it is wet.

Where is rock falls near?

flyin#5
03-13-2003, 12:36 PM
hmm thats wierd that IL doesnt have any registration. if i were you just go out there have a good time and if someone stops you then tell them where your from (show them drivers licence) and tell them you didnt know about the sticker thing... im sure they will just say that next time you come up get a sticker. so anyways where are you going besides brf?

zfire_28
03-14-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by spliffy
You Could Get Buy Cheaper If Thats The Only Way To Go By Making A Bill Of Sale For Say $1000.00 & Just Pay $50 Then. [/B]

good idea, maybe i'll try this......

If i still go, I'll be ridn with 6 friends who all have stickers so i'd kinda have to get one too, cause if i get stopped they will see that everyone in my party has one and say that i should know better.........

Rock Falls is located 110 miles west of Chicago right on I88......

we were planning on camping at Tri Lake near Iron River, I only called BRF to find out about getting the sticker.......

flyin#5
03-14-2003, 07:33 AM
sweet, thats not far from my cabin in hayward.

TheX1992
03-14-2003, 05:14 PM
i am from wisconsin, sort of near BRF, and i have NEVER heard anything about this. all i know is you need your registration sticker (i never heard it had to be wisconsin) and stock silencer. if you think about it, why would you have to change your license plates DRIVING in another state, sort of the same deal.

zfire_28
03-14-2003, 10:37 PM
the way i understand it wisconsin wants proof that some sort of tax has been paid on the machine, in the form of sales tax or registration depending on whether you bought new or used.......... Illinois doesn't register them so I have not paid any sort of tax on it.............(I guess the thousands of dollars I paid Uncle Sam last year in income tax is not enough!)

Anyways, we have all decided to make a trip to the Badland, or St. Joes instead.:cool:

trailburner
03-15-2003, 01:20 AM
I live in WIS & i buy a MICH [orv] sticker[off road vehicle sticker] $20, you are aloud to ride in WIS with & MICH orv for 3-days,the quad cannot be kept in WIS for more than 3-days, so when i get stoped i tell the DNR that i keep the quad at my dads house in MICH they do'nt say anything.....