PDA

View Full Version : CR Carb help..please!

finsteratv
12-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Okay guys so my 2002 CR250 has been plauging me with carb issues. At first the carb needed cleaned so i did that and it rode fine for awhile, then i had troubles with the float sticking so i cleaned that and it was fine, Now im just having leaking and over flow problems. Ive taken it apart and replaced the 3 main seals (top seal, bowl/body seal, and bottom drain bolt seal) now when i turn the gas on it runs down the sides of the bowl and out of 3 of the over flow lines..Can you guys help me out?! I havnt even had it a year and it just keeps giving me issues..

Plus i know its a dirtbike, but its a general carb issue..Thanks for all info and responses

finsteratv
12-26-2012, 10:26 AM
AND BY THE WAY....All Ghey stickers have been removed with the addition of an IMS tank, Cycras, FWW,Skid plate, FMF Gnarly&Turbine Core 2

quad2xtreme
12-26-2012, 10:39 AM
sounds like your float is still sticking such that it won't shutoff fuel flow. Once your float bowl fills up, the float floats and shuts the gas off. It is that simple. The float needle may be damaged such that it can't seal.

Take the carb bowl off. Then use just a little pressure to hold the float in the closed position and turn the gas valve on. No gas should be coming out...and you shouldn't have to push the float up hard at all.

If it doesn't stop the flow of gas, the float needle is your issue.

finsteratv
12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Alrighty i'll try that, I'm also going to check float height too. I've made sure the floats dont have any cracks or such by letting them sit in gas

89trx250r
12-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Also sometimes when you put your carb back on and reattach the fuel line there is an air pocket in the float bowl. The pressure in there will keep the gas from filling the bowl and make it run out the overflow hoses. You can usually just tap the float bowl a couple times with the end of a screwdriver to get the float to move and let fuel in to break the air pocket. You could also unscrew the drain plug at the bottom of the bowl until your fuel is flowing good then snug it back up. Goodluck

finsteratv
12-26-2012, 11:36 AM
thanks for all the info so far guys

fastredrider44
12-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Sounds like float needle to me. The rubber quits sealing after a while thanks to ethanol gas

finsteratv
12-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Sounds like float needle to me. The rubber quits sealing after a while thanks to ethanol gas Thats what it was. 30$ looks like the tune for it

quadrcr161
12-28-2012, 10:23 AM
same thing with my 04cr, will be tearing it down this weekend hopefully, my throttle is also stiff and was not wanting to retract when i was out in the shop the other night. im just hoping mine is dirty since i try to not run any ethanol fuel in it.

89trx250r
12-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Do you ever lube your cables Quadcr? Your supposed to take them off once a week or every two weeks and spray cable lube down in there and move the cable around a bit to lube the whole thing. I have been using the same cables on my 250r for like 4+ years now just by keeping them lubed. It could also mean the slide is sticking in the carb.

quadrcr161
12-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
Do you ever lube your cables Quadcr? Your supposed to take them off once a week or every two weeks and spray cable lube down in there and move the cable around a bit to lube the whole thing. I have been using the same cables on my 250r for like 4+ years now just by keeping them lubed. It could also mean the slide is sticking in the carb.

I'm lucky if i get into my shop every 2 weeks, or ride once a month, my 450 has been started twice this year. usually spray some once a year, my cables on my 250rs are 10+ yrs, and still orginal on my 04 450r, I have sprayed these when i got the bike in Sept but its gotten worse over the last week, went out to install a fender bag and trailtech vaper and noticed it was stiff but was leaking fuel last time I was out.