PDA

View Full Version : What linkage should I get

Mtndew99
12-24-2012, 07:55 PM
Ill be starting harescrambles this year and I don't know what kind of rear linkage I should get it seems like gtthunders xc link requires you to do a lot just so you can use it without busting up your subframe and exhaust

CJM
12-24-2012, 08:06 PM
I have the XC link and honestly I think the MX link mighta been a better option. I only say this b/c to me it still bucks me around. But I never wound up redoing the front.

Mtndew99
12-24-2012, 08:28 PM
With the gtthunder mx link wld I still have to bend the subframe out and redo anything?

CJM
12-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Yes. The problem is the travel of the shock is now so great that the sprocket will hit the subframe.

Its no big deal, take a bottle jack put it in there with a 2x4 and bend it slightly. Takes all of 10 mins.

Stickman400
12-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Marc did you ever clearance your airbox for the link? Or have you had any issues with it?

CJM
12-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Never had to actually. IDK why but either I have never used enough travel or just got lucky.

Course the spring is near maxed out on preload for me as well and that might have something to do with it.

BIGTEX400EX
12-31-2012, 07:00 AM
I don't post here much, but I also have the GT XC link with GT revalved/resprung 450R fronts and GT rear shock. At first I added 5 turns to the preload to meet the reccommended ride height. It felt better than stock, but still made me buck all over the place. I turned it down to 2.5 just to experiment, and it was better, turned it to 1 and now its amazing. CJM, just get the 1/4 to 1/2 inch difference in the frame ride height with as little preload on the rear as you can. You will be amazed at how much better the system works. I could never go back. My rear ride height is now at 6 3/4 - 6 1/2 inches (from frame to ground) but the thing rides like a dream. I had to bend my subframe and clearance my airbox, but the gains were absolutely worth it. Its a very small bend to the subframe, not even noticable to the eye. I just used a prybar to bring it out the 1/2" you need. I put a spacer (old socket) on the bolt that connects the back of my airbox to raise it up out of the way of the brake caliper without changing the front factory mounts. So far I have not had any issues. I have not used the MX link, but I have to say the thing rides so much better. Less wheelies, alot more glued to the ground feeling. I can charge whooped out trails/tracks without any loss of control.

jkosakowski
12-31-2012, 07:31 AM
I race harescrambles and I had gt thunder revalves front and back with the xc link and it was set up perfect. I didn't get bucked around anymore and it was super smooth. It takes a few minutes to modify the subframe and airbox so it all works right. I would get the xc link as long as its set up right it will be awesome.

CJM
12-31-2012, 04:11 PM
BigTex, the problem is its WAY to soft at that setting for my style of riding. I could back off the preload slightly to help the little bit of bucking I have or I could redo the fronts as thats whats kicking me around.

I have about 6 threads of preload left, and for me that is the correct ride height. I had to go up 2 spring rates to get that far!

Also I probably woulda befitted from the mx link more due to the area I ride in and the way I ride. Theres alot of whoops in certain areas and the linkage works well but I need a long travel front or IDK.

The 450 is going to get a aftermarket rear shock down the road and a different linkage setup.

BIGTEX400EX
01-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Gotcha, I could probaly use a stiffer spring as well, but with the way it rides now figured I could live with it. I hope you can enjoy yours as much as I have. For now, I am on the "no more bucking" bandwagon with this set up. Honestly, I cant imagine going back.

Longdong
01-01-2013, 06:16 PM
There is a reason for xc and mx links. Get the xc link and get the rear shock done. Are you serious about racing or just for fun?

Mtndew99
01-02-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm serious about racing I think I'm going to just try it out without the link and have the rear shock done then I'll try it with the link later on

01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
If you have the shock revalved without getting the link it will have to be revalved again if you get the link. I am in the same boat right now and I am trying the link first.

Longdong
01-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by #484
If you have the shock revalved without getting the link it will have to be revalved again if you get the link. I am in the same boat right now and I am trying the link first.

Correct! Revalve and a different spring

Mtndew99
Do them both at the same time if you plan on doing them you will be money ahead. Trust me i learned the hard way. If $125 is going to break the bank for a xc link you shouldn't be racing!

Mtndew99
01-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Money isn't a problem I just want to build the quad for me and a local guy around here does the shocks for cheap so I thinking of having my stock shock built for the stock link and the pep for the xc link

Mtndew99
01-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Well it seems like I'm just going to use my stock rear shock and send it to gtthunder and get the shock done and the linkage they seem to have the best prices

cheater13
01-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Mtndew99
Well it seems like I'm just going to use my stock rear shock and send it to gtthunder and get the shock done and the linkage they seem to have the best prices
How much are you paying to do this? I want to get a different linkage and get my rear shock redone so it rides smoother on trails and when i get up to speed. I drag race though so i change the linkage out so it can be lowered in the rear.

I don't have nothing done to my front suspension yet because looking for a good set of 450r shocks. When i find some, i'll get them revalved and resprung but it's pretty expensive for the fronts so i'll wait and just get my rear all done.

Mtndew99
01-04-2013, 09:34 AM
345 for linkage revalve and respring from gt thunder