PDA

View Full Version : oil level

JACK STRAW
12-23-2012, 05:19 AM
on stock 400's we will check the oil and it is about 1/2 way on the stick before a ride, and he rides daily. then we don't ride for a week or 10 days and it drops to about 1/2 " below the stick.(i checked that by using a wire tie down the hole). i told my son to ride it around for a little bit then bring it back in the shop. he did, and i checked it, and now i'm about 1/2 way up the dipstick.they are serviced regularly with gn4 oil and run great. my question is : is oil draining back into the cases, finding its own liquid level between the 2 compartments when it is not running for a couple of days?

powerbomb400
12-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Yes. You have to warm the engine up to check the oil level.

Crosshairs
12-23-2012, 06:43 AM
The 400 is a dry sump engine, so some of the oil will drain back into the engine when its not running.
Always run it for a few minutes before checking the oil level so the oil has a chance to get pumped back into the tank

KKiowaTJ
12-23-2012, 11:52 AM
There should be oil on the stick cold or warm. But to get the best reading let it warm up at idle for 10 mins give or take for the time of year let it sit for a few minutes and check.

The dry sump tank on a 400 when checked, You do not screw the dip stick back in, Just align it push it flush and pull out for best reading.

CJM
12-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Also, every 400 I have worked on always burns a bit of oil once it has a few hours on it. Never understood why, but 3 rebuilds now, 2 on my buddies, my other buddies brand new and so forth. All lose about 1/8-1/4qt of oil after about 25 hrs

powerbomb400
12-23-2012, 09:16 PM
I think that alot of the problem is because it is a air-cooled engine CJM. We have 4 of the air-cooled engines and they all use alittle oil.

JACK STRAW
12-24-2012, 07:06 AM
thanks all.we will continue to check before each ride when warm and top off as needed. if i don't see any on the stick i will still put a wire tie in the tank to verify there is something in there

CJM
12-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
I think that alot of the problem is because it is a air-cooled engine CJM. We have 4 of the air-cooled engines and they all use alittle oil.

Id tend to agree. Were running the thing at on avg 4-6k rpm most of the time. Imagine an aircooled generator running, it will burn oil in the same manner b/c its running at a constant like 4k rpm to make the power.

KKiowaTJ
12-24-2012, 04:25 PM
The only time i have ever had to add oil after a ride, Was when i was hitting the rev limiter half a dozen times that day. Other than that its at the same marks everytime i check it.

CJM
12-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
The only time i have ever had to add oil after a ride, Was when i was hitting the rev limiter half a dozen times that day. Other than that its at the same marks everytime i check it.

I tend to ride flat out always, so Im often hitting the limiter. I need to change gears again, 1, 2 and 3 are all still way to short imho. Already did 15/36. Think I might do 16/37 if my chain will allow it.

KKiowaTJ
12-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I tend to ride flat out always, so Im often hitting the limiter. I need to change gears again, 1, 2 and 3 are all still way to short imho. Already did 15/36. Think I might do 16/37 if my chain will allow it.

Yeah i have no use really for first. But the day i had the hit it a bunch, Was on a mx track and my first time on a 400ex on a mx track. I rode it like a banshee, Dont recommend it. Too high here and too low there.
A couple high sides from it lugging out lol and a hard front land with stock shocks. But comming from 2strokes, Its night and day on when and where to apply throttle.

Im just now getting used to a 4stroke and i love the 5-6k torque mine makes. I know if you rode with or herd me you would think WTF, Too earily, But mine pulls and makes the best power/pull around a 5-6k after that IMO if falls off.
They run good and always ready for anything. Every ride you gotta throw in a barcia Braap lol.

CJM
12-24-2012, 06:11 PM
I know exactly where your coming from. To me hitting the 4-6k range in 2-4th is really where its at.