PDA

View Full Version : Rpm Billet Tapered Front Hubs

Meat
12-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Who's got a set, who's had a set, whatch's know about these front hubs.

I just bought a used set and it came with two styles of outer bushings.

There's a bushing in the bearing that is closest to the spindle(inner) and there is a bushing at the bearing near the tip of the spindle(outer). I assume that one set of outer bushings works with the tapered spindles like the '89 and 400ex. The other style of bushings looks exactly like the bushing found in the inner bearing. I assume that this style bushing is used for the non-tapered '86 and '87 spindles. Am I correct ?

I planned to use 400ex spindles but it appears that the INNER bushing is not allowing the hub to be fully slide onto the spindle. The inner diameter of the INNER bushing is just a tad too small for the taper on my 400ex spindles. The hubs sit about 1/4 inch away from being fully seated on the spindle. My question is... Do the '89 and 400ex spindles have a different spindle shaft diameter at the inner bearing area, compared to the '86 and '87 spindles. Why are my inner bushings too small, are they made for just the '86 + '87 spindles ? I wish I had spare set of 86 spindles to try. :ermm:

Any experiences and advice on setting the drag on the bearings would be appreciated too.

Thanks guys, hope I wasn't too confusing. I only got about a half an hour working on these hubs tonight, so I didn't have much time to fiddle with swapping the bushings or measuring anything.

-Denny

deathman53
12-22-2012, 01:36 PM
86/87 are totally different, nothing is even close to 88 or 89. 88 and 89 used the same bearings, so for 400ex and 89 uses the same tapered collar as 89. 88 doesn't use this collar between the bearings.

danhung11
12-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Disregard the info I posted earlier, I deleted the reply. I misread the brand, it was for Hardkor hubs.