PDA

View Full Version : Any body running a titanium axle?

brysn424
12-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I'd like to have some feed back on these axles before I spend the money. What diameter is the axle? What grade titanium?? Any problems with the keyed hubs?? How much does it weigh compared to stock? Are the hubs lighter than stock also??????? Thanks for any input guys.

heathmxracing
12-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Bryan,

Since the titanium alxe is a custom made part there are several variables. The weight is goint to depend on the grade, diameter, length, etc.. Also, there are different hubs available as well. Some custom make them to be lighter, some use the stock stuff and some run the go cart stuff. If you have the axle made to use all the stock hubs it will be a little weight savings over the stock hollow tube set-up but requieres more machine work and a larger diameter peice of titanium to start with. If you use the go-cart style stuff it's a little lighter than stock but you have to use custom made sprockets, brake rotor, and run go-cart pattern wheels. Also, the go-cart hubs are not as good in my opinion. The best all around solution is to run the shortest, smallest diameter axle you can get away with and run the custom lightweigh hubs.

brysn424
12-22-2012, 02:13 PM
What diameter is your axle? What length? It'd be nice to hear an actual number in lbs before i drop the $$$$.

heathmxracing
12-22-2012, 04:57 PM
For a 50cc I would run the stock width an 32mm diameter. If you use all the lightweight componets it would be around 8 lbs. If you have a light rider and have some other light weight componets on the quad you can run a smaller diameter and get it around 6 lbs.

For a 70 mod I would run maybe an inch or two wider on each side and maybe a little thicker diameter. On a 90 mod maybe two to three inches per side and be around 9 or 10 lbs total.

brysn424
12-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Are u saying with the hubs and everything the axle would be around 6lbs? Stock tube weighs 10.22 lbs without hubs. That's a lot of weight. 50% lighter.as for the hubs are they just keyed with a bolt pinching them on the axle?

As for the rest of my components I have the lightest swinger available from what I've read. I'm running stock arms for now. What about in the carrier? Would a kit come with a different Id size bearing?

My rider is 45lbs an on a 50 So I'm thinking I could by with around a 1" diameter axle. As opposed to the 1.25" u mentioned above. Would u agree to that?

heathmxracing
12-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Yes, weights are with the hubs and everything. I figure the stock tube axle weighs 10.5 lbs and the two wheel hubs plus the brake/sprocket hubs puts the total at about 15.5 lbs. If you have the solid axle its about 22 lbs total.

I've seen the hubs made in several different ways. You can have them splined like the stock hubs but it's more machine work. The go-cart style has one pinch bolt, and I've seen some that have two pinch bolts.

You can use the stock carrier and just replace the bearings or I've seen some make a custom light weight carrier as well.

I've personally never used one at an inch diameter but I'm sure you can get by with less than the 32mm.

desratt
12-24-2012, 07:50 PM
We run this on on our 70. We went wider but with the key and pinch bolts you could adjust it. Came with new bearings for the carrier, sprocket hub, brake hub and wheel hubs. Good buy in my opinion. We've probably got 9 races and lots of practice on it with no issues.
Nathan adams

stevo7706
12-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Seems like a waste of money. In karting(where these axles come from)and other forms of racing where there are weight/power requirements and a few hundreths or thousandths of a second can make a difference it can make sense,but mini Quad racing? I would just put the kid on a diet to lose a few pounds or run just enough gas to finish the race and see if it makes a difference...it won't.

brysn424
12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Well considering my son is 5 an weighs only 45lbs loosing weight is rediculous. Obviously you don't understand what 10lbs of rotating mass will do to a 50cc motor. It's the difference from being mid pack to up front off the gate. If your kid starts mid pack and has to work his way back to the front then the holeshot means more to me than the $1200 that it cost to buy this setup.

desratt
12-26-2012, 11:55 AM
believe me sur. if your kid isn't already completely devoted and you aren't already measuring gas, then this might not be for u but give it some time and the more you and your son get addicted to the sport then this is a good buy.

ontargetracing
12-26-2012, 12:56 PM
dnag frame.. I hear there is a gold plated $$$ version also.. j/k

jandjracing
12-26-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by brysn424
I'd like to have some feed back on these axles before I spend the money. What diameter is the axle? What grade titanium?? Any problems with the keyed hubs?? How much does it weigh compared to stock? Are the hubs lighter than stock also??????? Thanks for any input guys.

I have ran a couple of these set ups on Cobra and JB Mod. I purchased the axle from JB Racing. The price of the axle changes as the titanium market does. The axles I bought were fully machined 1 1/4" diameter at all mounting points, and slightly turned down diameter between mounting points so your collars and hubs slide on nice. I used kart sprocket hub ($20) and the same hub for brakes. You can get sprockets from Rebel Gear for the kart bolt pattern that are 420 or 428 in any tooth count. The kart shop also sells slotted rotors close in diameter to the original Cobra rotor. Also grab some split collars ($6) from the kart shop to keep everything pinched or trapped together. I used an agricultural bearing that had 1 1/4" I.D. and 62mm O.D. part number was like RA103RR or something like that. There are a couple of companies that make custom 4x110 mm pinch bolt hubs, but you'll pay for them. I liked the setup a lot. I could get the replacement parts wherever I wanted when I wanted, and in most cases were cheaper (except axle). It was problem free once set up. You can also move that type axle to another chassis as he/she grows. I do not know the weight savings, but I know a 180lb 18 yr old can take one over a 90' jump without bending or breaking it.

brysn424
12-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Hey John. Ur inbox is full.