PDA

View Full Version : 400ex intake

russellsroost31
12-20-2012, 10:58 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400EX-Velocity-Intake-with-K-N-air-filter-450r-ex-/300417560248?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f2482eb8&vxp=mtr
hey guys i saw this on ebay wanted to know what you guys thought bought it
now ik all you guys will say somthing about mud or water im not worried about that

Stickman400
12-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Here's a couple old threads about it:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=489962&highlight=Velocity+intake
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=494468&highlight=Velocity+intake

russellsroost31
12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
i just took off the airbox sounds alot stronger in the mid range and top end but seemed like it my be a lil boggy in the bottom end

JOHNDOE83
12-20-2012, 03:49 PM
try to up the jetting a bit more, now you have alot more air coming in and a little more fuel will wake everything up nicely.

russellsroost31
12-20-2012, 05:15 PM
it has a 165 main jet it needs like a 167
ima just experiment a little bit first

cheater13
12-21-2012, 09:01 AM
I plan on getting one of those before drag racing season starts. I know i'll have to change the jetting on it cause it'll be sucking in more air.

russellsroost31
12-21-2012, 10:13 AM
well i rode it today and it was pretty impressive
i just ripped up and down the driveway a lil but it seem like a stronger pull up through the midrange and a lot better throttle response
i did a race start also and the front end just started to rise it seems alot better now i gues it will stay off for indoors

Blodg
12-21-2012, 06:23 PM
The kit from ebay has a small diameter intake tube and I don't doubt that it increases velocity but I wonder if it would flow enough volume for a built engine. The stock air boot has a large diameter leaving the air box and tapers down to the carb. This in theory should flow a higher volume of air than the velocity intake.

From what I have read a higher velocity of air in any motor will improve throttle response and low end power but for top end power you need a sufficient volume of air. Maybe removing the air box and using the stock air boot as Johndoe has done might be a better option?

I have a narrow air boot (2 1/4" radiator hose) on my hybrid with 500cc motor and it is a monster on the low end but does not rev out well and I think it may not flow enough volume at high rpm's.

gasguzzler
12-21-2012, 11:05 PM
I just picked up a 40mm HV (I'm guessing it's a HV model anyways) that was bored out to 43mm. It's inlet flange was too big for my stock intake hose, so I built my own intake with stuff I had laying around my garage.

The carb has a 2.75" flange and the alum. piping is 3" from a Powerstroke Ford intercooler system. Air filter was from a custom set-up I had on my 94 Lightning.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt126/kbsupercharged/airintakeproject.jpg

Blodg
12-22-2012, 09:06 AM
That looks great gasguzzler! That should flow a ton of air with that huge filter and no air box.

I made by own intake boots on my hybrid but it has an aluminum air box was built for dual carbs so it has two small flanges (2 1/4") instead of one big one. One motor I have was built for two carbs but now I am running one carb so the filter that fits one side of the dual airbox is small. I should take some pics and post them on here for ideas on how to do a better intake system but I need to keep an airbox.

russellsroost31
12-22-2012, 09:13 PM
that thing looks like it will rip your arms off for a 400ex!!!

cheater13
01-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Did you have to rejet yours? And would a UNI filter work on the end or would i have to buy the whole velocity kit with the K@N filter?

russellsroost31
01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
i just took my airbox off and im not a uni fan so im not sure
no i didnt rejet it it seems to run pretty good
it can have a little bog in the botom end but when it warms up it seems to run fine i havent really got to open her up cause of the snow

JOHNDOE83
01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
you should at the very least tune your main jet using the www.jetsrus.com method for main jet tuning in the faq section.

RNL
01-07-2013, 06:54 AM
I'm interested to know real world gains with this.

cheater13
01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by RNL
I'm interested to know real world gains with this.
I'll be ordering the complete kit here in a few months for drag racing so I'll probably post the results after i get it rejetted.

But i would like to know some other people's opinions on it too. I know JOHNDOE said that it helped him alot but i think he got a custom one built for his drag bike that was similar to the velocity kit.

RNL
01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by cheater13
I'll be ordering the complete kit here in a few months for drag racing so I'll probably post the results after i get it rejetted.

But i would like to know some other people's opinions on it too. I know JOHNDOE said that it helped him alot but i think he got a custom one built for his drag bike that was similar to the velocity kit.

It looks sweet, but not sure how it would be for trail riding.

cheater13
01-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Ehh, it might not be too bad. If you can put a prefilter over that k@n that comes with it, your be good to go.

russellsroost31
01-16-2013, 08:49 AM
mine never came with a prefilter

marsig416ex
01-23-2013, 08:53 PM
I have an 02 Honda 416ex with a DG slip on and when I first purchased the bike it had the stock carb and the stock intake tube and a K&N fiter on it. When I first purchased the velocity intake I did noticed a crisper throttle responds using 170 main jet. Low end was not as noticeable but it did open the mid to top end. I do believe in the intake but I've notice more and more people not liking the K&N filter and turning to the Uni filters. I hope this helps a bit.

cheater13
01-24-2013, 10:08 AM
So you can use stock UNI filters on this intake kit? And is the snorkel completely eliminated with a snorkel block off, or when you put the kit on, is it still supposed to be hooked up?

This is probably the last performance thing i can do to my engine besides boring it so i hope it helps out. I might buy one of those fan kits from a user on here that he custom made too cause mine runs pretty dang hot.