PDA

View Full Version : Porting Heads ?

sodbrother
03-12-2003, 11:54 PM
I hear just about everybody in here talking about porting and polishing but nobody talking about actually flowing the head to make sure they are doing more good than harm.

Does anybody in the industry do Flow work and what are they charging ?

If your not using a flow bench when doing the grinding you haven't a clue if you are doing any good, and actual could be doing the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

maybe everyone does use a flow bench and nobody talks about it.

Sodbrother

JOEX
03-13-2003, 12:11 AM
It has been mentioned here several times, I don't know if anybody here knows enough about it to post some legitimate information that the layman can understand.
It has been posted that porting is better left to the pros.
Do you have any info you can share with us?

Joe

sodbrother
03-13-2003, 12:13 AM
I am learning more and more about it. The more I learn the more important it seems.

Big - D Racing
03-13-2003, 12:48 AM
MOst of the people I talk to, including myself get their port and polish work from big name nginge builders, and most all big name builders use a flow bench. That's how mine was done. No one should do it without one.

rhandw69
03-13-2003, 08:25 AM
Big D is rite on.
I had my port work done by Trinity, and yes they use a flow bench. Alot of your top engine builders (LRD, Sparks, TC, Trinity etc.) use flow benches. Without it, you really cant QC your work.

ChadEXer
03-13-2003, 09:41 AM
I agree that good port work can only be done with a flow bench! The only thing is, that just about the only place to find one is the pro engine builders, and all those guys are going to be expensive! TC charged me around $495 to port and polish my head, and I know he spent about 2 days doing it!! I think the pros after porting thousands of heads probably know how to do it without even using their flow bench, but I dont know that for sure!!

AndrewRRR
03-13-2003, 10:19 AM
I agree with Chad. A lot of engine builders have done enough heads that they dont need to flow them, they know what they are doing and know how it will flow just by looking at them. I took my ported motor into Ripps and he just started pointing out all these things that needed work that I hadn't even noticed (It was ported by LRD before). He's been porting since the 70s.
I have a decent grasp on how to make a head flow better, especially when it comes to removing restrictions, resurfacing the ports, etc. I wouldn't try to go break any world records because I'm not there yet! It sounds like the builders ive talked to all have a LOT of trial and error under their belt. A flow bench will spit out some numbers, but it takes a lot more than that to know how it all relates to how the engine will perform. You don't race numbers.

Steven
03-16-2003, 02:20 PM
I got mine done here in Tampa by a guy doing it for over 30 years, He uses a flow bench. He said it takes a long time to get it just right.

Cost was $300

Sure was worth it, it made a substantial difference throughout the powerband.

nastynotchback1
03-16-2003, 02:30 PM
one of my best freinds owns a shop called xsr cylinder heads.(www.xsrcylinderheads.com).he has a flow bench.now the shop is a speed shop for cars and trucks but i bet he can flow a quad head on his bench.i am going to discuss it with him and see what he says.if you are in to mustangs or any dragracing go check out his site.my car is the the second one down in the reader rides.my name is trai.