PDA

View Full Version : 450r front shock pressure charge

JACK STRAW
12-19-2012, 05:48 PM
i am putting used 450r front shocks on my 400 and want to check the nitrogen charge. what is the psi supposed to be set at. thanks

atvrider13
12-20-2012, 01:15 PM
You cant check it yourself with regular tire pressure gauges. Take it to a shop that services shocks and they can check it for you

Thumpin440ex
12-20-2012, 10:25 PM
I filled mine up to 185, but was told 175-210 was about where they should be

John

jman7290
12-21-2012, 05:00 AM
You need to contact the manufactor of your shock and see what pressure that they recommend. I have seen anywhere from 150 PSI to 250 PSI. You would have to get a pressure gauge that reads pressures between those points. Then if you want to fill them you would need to get a nitrogen tank with a pressure regulator and rig a hose up with an air chuck. If you know anyone that does HVAC work they would have that setup,and be able to do it for you.

dustin_j
12-21-2012, 08:36 AM
You will also lose pressure just checking it, even if you use a no-loss setup as you pressurize the line when you check it. The easiest way to check the condition of the shock is to remove the spring and clamp it upside down in a vice. Push the shaft completely into the shock (it should push hard), and watch it return to full extension. The return should be smooth and pretty quick. If it does not fully extend on its own, extends slowly, or slows down as it returns, then the shock is low on oil or Nitrogen and needs a service.

JACK STRAW
12-21-2012, 04:22 PM
i brought our nitrogen charge kit from home from work and put them to 200psi. i will remove the spring and try what you said. they both did have nitrogen in them when i hooked things up but i bled them both off so i don't know how much was in there to start. i am going to see how much Cat wants for the adapter that screwed onto the schrader valve then make my own set up with gages and needle valves that i think i have in my shop . my gas distributer would give me a tank to use since it is such a small amount.

fearlessfred
12-21-2012, 07:49 PM
this is a case were more isnt allways better.you might wanna try something in the 150 range .these shocks will all ready to be to stiff ,adding extra presure will make for a rough ride.